cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoops team sounds better than last year

Cleveland really left at a good time for Dave Rose. The only thing that could be better right now is if Bronco's Boys had decided to play ball in the first half of the Ute game and were riding a 4 game win streak going into the Bowl Game. Regardless, most eyes of Cougar Nation are affixed on the Bowl Game and which college Stanley Havili will choose. Cleveland gave Rose a team with low expectations, the football program is on the rise and BYU has, what I believe to be, its most talented freshman duo in a very long time. And neither plan to serve missions.

I am still uncomfortable with the words "up-tempo" and Brigham Young going together very well, but I want to watch this team for a few years until I decide if it is up-tempo, in that we press and try to get more athleticism into the game, or if it just means that BYU will shoot 3's in transition. Further, with guys like Plaisted and Cummard on the floor BYU will usually have an athleticism advantage against most teams. Even teams that have had that athletic advantage in the past and will again in the future. Bluntly put, I believe if Rose is unable to win an NCAA game by the time these kids are juniors, he might be underachieving.

As far as this year. It is way to early to conclude anything. This team is better, but as far as determining what are reasonable expectations for this club, give it thru the USU game. I think after that game we will be able to gauge where this team is headed this year. The only huge concern I have right now is the low rebounding margin against some very poor teams. But BYU is young and the two big bodies have been out of action.

I am interested to see how much Burgess and Dawes play as well as how Plaisted develops into his role as a 5.

I said a couple of months ago that I believe BYU will win more bowl games and NCAA games the next 4 years than the past 15 total. That number is 4, two bowls and two tourney games. I still maintain that position. I believe that the football program is turning around and with the proliferation of bowls, the Y is going to get some beatable opponents. I also think the Y hoops program is going to experience a high point with Cummard and Plaisted that will not be repeated for a very long time.