cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Why does football get a pass on roids?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=125

I know a lot of non-baseball fans want to savage the sport for its treatment of the steriod problem. A lot of people claim they are not a fan of the sport, because of the steriod problem. These same people are also huge NFL fans. Well lets look at the treatment of Shawne Merriman. The guy was caught using steriods, and he is still celebrated as the best defensive player in the NFL. Why aren't those outraged over MLB treatment of steriods, and using it as the reason why they are not MLB fans now jumping off the NFL ship.

Baseball was just slower to fix the problem than football. Both had what can be described as steriod eras. Yet only baseball gets savaged in the media for it. In fact the media is praising a steriod user in the NFL, while at the same time tearing apart Mark McGwire in his hall of fame candidacy. All this while there is one huge difference, Merriman was proven to be a steriod user while there is no definitive proof that McGwire used steriods. I think he used them, but I hesitate to use the word of Jose Conseco as gospel.

McGwire should be in the hall of fame and he should be in the hall of fame this year. I am not a McGwire fan, but we have no evidence that he used steriods or even what impact those steriods had on his numbers. The pitchers were roided up as well, so for all we know hitters using roids just evened the playing field.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote