cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24: Season 2

I just started watching Season 2.

It's interesting how the fantasy of Jack Bauer is so appealing. The all-american guy who won't be bothered by the rules to get the job done and keep his family and the american people safe. This is especially appealing in these times.

As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of Gitmo and torture. I guess I have a nuanced position: we should not officially endorse torture, nor practice it in public. Would it dismay me if a Jack Bauer or two existed? No. But it should never be official or public. And one more thing: if you are willing to torture or kill for this country, you must be willing to be tortured, killed or convicted for this country. Meaning that the torturer is imprisoned by his own country. If he is not willing to make that sacrifice, then he shouldn't be in the business.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote