cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eugene England's parting words (BYU, UoU, UVSC)

Great article/speech. I am familiar somewhat with the lack of academic freedom at BYU, which I despise.

The surprise to me, was this gigantic slam of the University of Utah: "[no] practicing Mormon in fifty years been hired in English, or in philosophy in the last forty or in history for twenty-five years."

That is incredible. I've heard of anti-Mormonism at UofU, but I didn't know it was this bad. Now I am beginning to understand why a faithful LDS person who goes to BYU, grew up in Utah, might not like the gang up North.

Anyway, the article argues that UVSC is the only place in Utah that is in the proper center, exercising freedom, examining Mormonism, etc.

This speech was given in 2000. He died in 2001.

Those that know me best know that I have a love/hate relationship with BYU. The hate part comes from the same aspect of me that led to me forming this board. I don't like people telling me how to think. <sigh>.

I'm just glad I'm not in the middle of it. I'll never work for BYU and I'll never work for UoU.

http://www.uvsc.edu/ethics/conftrans...ee-england.pdf
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote