cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #11
Iluvatar

Iluvatar
Default Re: To say that we know so incomprehensibly little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar
Before flogging me for putting science before faith, keep in mind that historically speaking, when science and religion have locked horns, science has almost always emerged the victor.
Is it possible to believe in the Church without believing many of the claims made by the Church? I think it is. Personally, I don't believe that the BoM is authentic, nor do I believe that Joseph Smith ever spoke with God or was ever visited by angels; I also don't believe that modern prophets speak with God. I do, however, believe in the morals taught by the Church, and I believe that the Church is a source for good in the lives of many. If the Church helps you live a happier life and if it gives you hope, then it works. If it works, then it doesn't really matter whether it authentic.
I'm about where you are. I've avoided very nearly every major pitfall in life by adhering to the moral precepts of the gospel, so, I guess you could say I have a testimony of those. However, I find it very difficult to believe in most of the rest of it...to the degree that I doubt the existence of a personal God.

The crappy thing is, I'm not sure the church works for me anymore. If I can't believe the majority of it's tenants (JS, BOM, modern prophecy. etc.), then why should I continue to shell out a full tithe? If the BOM isn't authentic, and the prophet doesn't really speak to God, then it becomes the biggest scam the world has ever known! Do I stick with it to make my wife happy? How have you dealt with it?