cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Many romantic writers feel compelled to write the proverbial unrequitted love novel, screenplay, ect. This aspect of love, an icon for years in European literature, maybe because the royals were so spoiled they had to think up worries, has always perplexed me.

And after the first two dozen, it's time to go watch a good war flick.

I can appreciate the fact that good writers can write about boring topics. Happens all the time.

So far the argument is, "Hey the writer is good, so the story may hold somebody's interest." Not a completely specious point of view, but gay men humping still turns me off.

And although, I won't avoid a movie with normal sexual innuendo or content, I won't seek it out for it either. On average, I see 50 to 60 movies per year, so I see a lot of junk, but so little is new stuff.

Original stuff, which now has been repeated, was stuff like,

Apocalypse Now
Memento
even Vanilla Sky
Saving Private Ryan
All Quiet of the Eastern Front
The Man Who Knew Too Much

even the Village offered something

Most movies about romance fail to express much, because where that emotion is involved, the writing tends to fall into tired formulae.