cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Lineup/Formation that I would like to see this year

I know that Coach Anae focuses more on execution than trickery, as he really has a few plays that he makes sure his team knows how to execute and adds little wrinkles as the season progresses, but MAN I would LOVE to see BYU run some no-huddle this year with personnel similar to this:

Dennis Pitta, Andrew George and Vic So'oto
JJ DiLuigi (assuming he's healthy) and Manase Tonga

Pitta and George are TEs that are of the 'big WR' mold, like Johny Harline (only better blockers, IMO).

Come out in a formation with those 5 skill guys, with Pitta and George on the line, and Tonga, So'oto and DiLuigi in the backfield and run power in a short yardage situation. No huddle to a spread offense with Pitta and George lined up as WRs, put DiLuigi and So'oto in the slot and either have Tonga in the backfield or split him out and go with an empty formation. Go to this early in the game and hopefully make the defense burn a timeout. Pitta and George would both have height advantages over corners if matched up 1 on 1, so the fade or possibly slant routes should be there. And I think So'oto, Tonga and DiLuigi should be able to get loose against LBers.

Then again, I REALLY would have loved to see a similar lineup last year with a more seasoned QB, one who Anae trusted to let him call the play, find out what the defenses personnel was and adjust. If they line up small, Power I. If they line up big, spread them out. Beck was mobile enough (when healthy) that he could spread out the defense and find lanes to run in. Without having seen much of Max Hall, I can't really say that I trust his decision making abilities, or know how athletic he is. But I think BYU could really capitalize on some mismatches in situations like this.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote