cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It doesn't actually ban any instruments. Some brass and some percussion--which ones? ones with a prominent sound? whatever that is.
I'm glad to see that. It means Bishop's with a brain they're willing to use could have your trumpets.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There are many articulate individuals, SIEQ, Seattle, Chapel Hill Coug, Solon, Adam, Creekster, tooblue, All American, Barbara Gordon, Pelagius and many others. Take time to read them, they are articulate in their own rights.
It continues to amaze me how you get away with being so rude and boorish.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It continues to amaze me how you get away with being so rude and boorish.
Pot Kettle.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #34
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Pot Kettle.
I think I've been pretty even-handed given some of the abuse I've taken from you people.

I certainly don't "get away" with anything. SoCalCoug is always there to remind me everytime I attack someone, regardless of how many people attack me.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #35
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll have to double-check the handbook, but I believe this is correct.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I repeat that not all ward/stake/general meetings are created equal. Just because the Choir may do a certain rendition for a performance doesn't necessarily mean it's sacrament meeting appropriate.

I'm pretty liberal on baptismal services, auxiliary meetings, and firesides. I'm more traditional and strict on sacrament meetings and large gatherings like a stake or General conference, and I think you'll find that to be a general pattern across the church.
I must respectfully but vehemently disagree with you Tex. You clearly do not understand the role of music in worship. As I stated in another thread - music is our direct connection with the divine. In the world of Tex, you would stifle creative expression in the interest of control. You should try listening to some classical music - I mean really listening. The great composers (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, etc.) were inspired men. Fortunately they weren't anal enough to worry about what instruments might offend the prudish, simple minded, victorian sensibilities of people like you.

You lose my respect when you drone on about control of music. Listen to me - it is about the spirit. I would rather be in Creekster's ward listening to his brass quartet than in Tex's imaginary congregation where it is all about stifling the spirit. Your self absorbed criticism of anything contrary to your outdated opinions is boorish and intellectually dishonest.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #36
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I must respectfully but vehemently disagree with you Tex. You clearly do not understand the role of music in worship. As I stated in another thread - music is our direct connection with the divine. In the world of Tex, you would stifle creative expression in the interest of control. You should try listening to some classical music - I mean really listening. The great composers (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, etc.) were inspired men. Fortunately they weren't anal enough to worry about what instruments might offend the prudish, simple minded, victorian sensibilities of people like you.

You lose my respect when you drone on about control of music. Listen to me - it is about the spirit. I would rather be in Creekster's ward listening to his brass quartet than in Tex's imaginary congregation where it is all about stifling the spirit. Your self absorbed criticism of anything contrary to your outdated opinions is boorish and intellectually dishonest.
Did you happen to read the Handbook guidelines pelagius posted, Requiem?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #37
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First, get rid of the condescending tone. I will not stand for it. Secondly, how dare you refer me to any handbook? I know the Church Music Handbook and the subsequent letter from the First Presidency better than you. I also would venture to say I know more about music than you can even comprehend.

In your misguided effforts to live by Tex's Letter of the Law, have you ever considered the importance of the spirit and personal revelation? I feel sorry for people like you - unable to enjoy and comprehend the beauties of life because your are hung up on a handbook. Did Christ throw a handbook in the face of his flocks? Get a life Tex, because this one is short. I used to have compassion for you; however, you bring it on yourself.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #38
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
First, get rid of the condescending tone. I will not stand for it. Secondly, how dare you refer me to any handbook? I know the Church Music Handbook and the subsequent letter from the First Presidency better than you. I also would venture to say I know more about music than you can even comprehend.

In your misguided effforts to live by Tex's Letter of the Law, have you ever considered the importance of the spirit and personal revelation? I feel sorry for people like you - unable to enjoy and comprehend the beauties of life because your are hung up on a handbook. Did Christ throw a handbook in the face of his flocks? Get a life Tex, because this one is short. I used to have compassion for you; however, you bring it on yourself.
I genuinely don't understand all this anger directed at me, Requiem. I didn't mean to sound condescending. I don't think I've said anything differently than those guidelines, and I was therefore curious if you'd read them.

I don't doubt you are more musically talented and/or educated than I am, and I don't deny the power of music to invite the spirit. I have simply said I think sacrament meeting has a different standard than other meetings, and I think the handbook's guidelines support that.

I also don't know where I've ever specifically ruled any piece of music out. Most of my comments have been in the abstract. I think there are indeed classical pieces that can be appropriate for a sacrament meeting, and other non-hymnbook hymns too.

Honestly, Requiem, take a deep breath. I'm not your enemy on this topic.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-31-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #40
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Link?
comment #28 in this thread: http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=28
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote