cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MLB storylines

Baseball is finally getting interesting and every night counts. There are a couple of storylines I'm following. First, the AL wildcard race looks like it's going down to the wire. It will be incredible if the Yankees miss the playoffs and the Mariners get in. How Brian Cashman still has a job is anybody's guess.

Second, the NL Central division chase is pretty fun to watch. It's the worst division in baseball, but I'd like to see Lou Piniella in the postseason. The NL West could turn, but I hate that division so I don't really care.

Anything else worth following this late in the season?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Baseball is finally getting interesting and every night counts. There are a couple of storylines I'm following. First, the AL wildcard race looks like it's going down to the wire. It will be incredible if the Yankees miss the playoffs and the Mariners get in. How Brian Cashman still has a job is anybody's guess.

Second, the NL Central division chase is pretty fun to watch. It's the worst division in baseball, but I'd like to see Lou Piniella in the postseason. The NL West could turn, but I hate that division so I don't really care.

Anything else worth following this late in the season?
You've mentioned the two best races down the stretch. Everything else looks like it's in place. The post-season should be fun.

I thought my O's could get within 12 games, but alas, that ain't gonna happen. Bummer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

You are missing one of the best stories in baseball right now, Rick Ankiel. Ankiel was the pitcher that LaRussa through his horrible managing screwed up and destroyed his confidence in game 1 of the NLDS in 2000. Smart move there LaRussa trot out a 20 year old pitcher against Greg Maddux. He never recovered from his wild pitches in that playoff year.

Well he went back down to the minors and switched to an OF. He is back in the majors and hitting the ball really well.

It is a great story and nice to see someone coming back after being screwed over by LaRussa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Ankiel
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets go cubs!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
You are missing one of the best stories in baseball right now, Rick Ankiel. Ankiel was the pitcher that LaRussa through his horrible managing screwed up and destroyed his confidence in game 1 of the NLDS in 2000. Smart move there LaRussa trot out a 20 year old pitcher against Greg Maddux. He never recovered from his wild pitches in that playoff year.

Well he went back down to the minors and switched to an OF. He is back in the majors and hitting the ball really well.

It is a great story and nice to see someone coming back after being screwed over by LaRussa.
Nice catch. I had followed his story but forgot to mention it. It's only a matter of time before his story becomes a movie. It would be great to see him have a long career in the OF.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

when you think about it Mark Prior is pretty similar. 23 years old in the 8th innning of game 6 of the NLCS. the bartman ball happens and the error by the shortstop. Does Dusty baker come out to the mound to calm him down? nope... just sits there and chews that stupid toothpick.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
when you think about it Mark Prior is pretty similar. 23 years old in the 8th innning of game 6 of the NLCS. the bartman ball happens and the error by the shortstop. Does Dusty baker come out to the mound to calm him down? nope... just sits there and chews that stupid toothpick.
Dusty Baker is a worse manager than Tony LaRussa and that is saying a lot. Read Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders and read the chapter on Dusty Baker. He just rips him to shreds for his decisions while he was the Cubs manager. As a Cubs fan it will probably make you laugh at first, but that laughter will turn to rage.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm surprised by the LaRussa angst here. I thought the A's guys stuck by each other.

On Dusty, though, I never understood how he kept his SF job so long. I guess he got them to the WS, but it always seemed like you were watching a completely inept coach out there. How long did they hold onto Shawon Dunston and a dozen other geriatrics? The Giants are an odd org overall, though, and it'll be interesting to see what the club does once Bonds and his contract are gone.

(Although, that holding onto Dunston gave PAC one of his greatest Little League umping moments ever as Dunston's kid was in the same league and he congratulated him on a correct call that most miss.)

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
...Although, that holding onto Dunston gave PAC one of his greatest Little League umping moments ever as Dunston's kid was in the same league and he congratulated him on a correct call that most miss.
You need to tell us this story.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You need to tell us this story.
I don't want to undervalue the achievement, so I have gone to the source for more accurate details.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote