cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We did 50 miles on Saturday...

Started at the capitol, climbed to the U, followed Foothill passing or Parley's until we hit Wasatch Blvd. Down the hill we went on 123rd S, and took 7 E to 8th S, climbed up to 13th E, past the stadium and up the hill again to the Avenues graveyard. Finishing with a descent to the capitol.

Just over 50 miles, took us about four and a half hours, fixed 3 flats and stopped to field a few phone calls. We averaged 15.1 MPH and I thought I could have gone much faster without the wife.

So I guess the invitation is, if anybody in the area wants to go for a ride with a fat beginner let me know I can do at least 50 miles.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Started at the capitol, climbed to the U, followed Foothill passing or Parley's until we hit Wasatch Blvd. Down the hill we went on 123rd S, and took 7 E to 8th S, climbed up to 13th E, past the stadium and up the hill again to the Avenues graveyard. Finishing with a descent to the capitol.

Just over 50 miles, took us about four and a half hours, fixed 3 flats and stopped to field a few phone calls. We averaged 15.1 MPH and I thought I could have gone much faster without the wife.

So I guess the invitation is, if anybody in the area wants to go for a ride with a fat beginner let me know I can do at least 50 miles.
Three flats?!? Man, somehting is just not right there. I am running Conti ultra gator skins on our triple and we have NEVER flatted (knock on wood) on that bike. Really, never at all and we are carrying three poeple and sometimes stuff on the rear rack. THat is just too many flats for two people.

Good ride though. Years ago I worked at the capitol building for a year and used to commute by bike to and from Old Farm, which is like 5th east and 40 the south or something. I used to time my departure from the top of the hill on State street so I would hit the green light at the bottom of the hill and fly through it. I tok way too many risks and it makes me cringe a bit now when I think about it.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Three flats?!? Man, somehting is just not right there. I am running Conti ultra gator skins on our triple and we have NEVER flatted (knock on wood) on that bike. Really, never at all and we are carrying three poeple and sometimes stuff on the rear rack. THat is just too many flats for two people.
I flatted at 13th E and 8 S, right next to East, with a large thorn. The wife experienced two flats, one a piece of glass, the other an inch long nail. Interestingly enough all flats occurred on climbs. Do flats occur with more ease on slow climbs or is it just sheer bad luck?

I think I need to buy some new tires.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote