cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
I doubt you guys are as comfortable trashing living prophets are you are dead ones. True, this forum doesn't follow the unspoken rules in Mormonism as much, but you aren't completely free from its influence.
what other forums do you follow? How else does this one compare? Do you follow http://cougarboard.com ?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #52
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I doubt you guys are as comfortable trashing living prophets are you are dead ones. True, this forum doesn't follow the unspoken rules in Mormonism as much, but you aren't completely free from its influence.
A post of shaf's without a cut and past, will wonders never cease.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #53
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

McConkie was an apostle! How dare you all malign him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #54
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Correct - the last sentence of his preface reads:

"For the work itself, I assume sole and full responsibility"

That would be fine if the book carried a less preposterous and provocative title (e.g. "Mormonism Explained - A John Birch Society View").
Not only that but there is the arrogant, authoritative voice, the black and gold cover resembling the Bible, etc. "I take sole and full responsiblity" looks like a throw away phrase. Did they sell it bound in calf's leather? I bet they did. I know the one I had was in faux black leather sans dust jacket.

The fact of the matter is, when the LDS Church generates such a cultish aura around its prophets and apostles, indeed all "general authorities," any book by an "apostle," especially if called "Mormon Doctrine," and written with McConkie's distinct voice attempting the Jehova intonation, and with the gold and black cover, etc., is not going to be received as something less than revelation. In fact, as we've discussed here, this book did make McConkie perhaps the most visible and lionized and widely recognized of the apostles of his era.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #55
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Not only that but there is the arrogant, authoritative voice, the black and gold cover resembling the Bible, etc. "I take sole and full responsiblity" looks like a throw away phrase. Did they sell it bound in calf's leather? I bet they did. I know the one I had was in faux black leather sans dust jacket.

The fact of the matter is, when the LDS Church generates such a cultish aura around its prophets and apostles, indeed all "general authorities," any book by an "apostle," especially if called "Mormon Doctrine," and written with McConkie's distinct voice attempting the Jehova intonation, and with the gold and black cover, etc., is not going to be received as something less than revelation. In fact, as we've discussed here, this book did make McConkie perhaps the most visible and lionized and widely recognized of the apostles of his era.
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who judges the value of authority by the presence or absence of a calfskin cover.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #56
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Does this type of bullshit convince anyone in a court of law? Is it only in jury trials where the decision makers are dumbass fellow citizens? There was a day when the lawyers were intelligent and could make relevent points, but this bovine excement sounds like it came from a director of marketting?. I blame dumbass citizens for the dumbing down of lawyers which is resulting in the dumbing down of America.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #57
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
What a dumb thing to say.

1.) You have no idea what our comfort level is with anything.

2.) Humans trash dead people far more than living people.

3.) Unspoken rules? What a gay thing to say. Do some research and find a quote from some authority that explicity proscribes trashing the Lord's annointed.

4.) You aren't free from its influence. Ahhhhh, SeattleUte is having influence on you. Thanks for the gratuitous "I can see while you can't but trust me you aren't free from the chains of thought control."

Honesty, I don't understand assholes like you. This has nothing to do with evangelical versus mormon as Tex is as big an asshole as you and he is every bit as mormon as I am. I just don't get why you come here to be an asshole. Your effort is not to understand, rectify or get to know. Your point is to be an asshole. I don't get it.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #58
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Does this type of bullshit convince anyone in a court of law? Is it only in jury trials where the decision makers are dumbass fellow citizens? There was a day when the lawyers were intelligent and could make relevent points, but this bovine excement sounds like it came from a director of marketting?. I blame dumbass citizens for the dumbing down of lawyers which is resulting in the dumbing down of America.
What point am I trying to make other than McConkie was revered, as was Mormon Doctrine, in his day? Do you dispute that?

(I'm much less qualified to address today, but I suspect he and it are still revered in many quarters.)

—Paul Auster
Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Honesty, I don't understand assholes like you. This has nothing to do with evangelical versus mormon as Tex is as big an asshole as you and he is every bit as mormon as I am. I just don't get why you come here to be an asshole. Your effort is not to understand, rectify or get to know. Your point is to be an asshole. I don't get it.
Would you ever visit an evangelical site to impose your views or to 'inform" them of Mormon's light?

I agree and sit equally perplexed as to the motivation to be an asswipe.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #60
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
What point am I trying to make other than McConkie was revered, as was Mormon Doctrine, in his day? Do you dispute that?

(I'm much less qualified to address today, but I suspect he and it are still revered in many quarters.)
Counselor, if that was your point I think it was waaaaay late. If you hadn't caught on to the fact that your point was disgustingly redundant, I am not sure if you are as smart as I give you credit.