cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Unlike you, I do not presume to know the mechanics of how a prophet selects a new apostle. But I believe in the oft repeated prophetic testimonials that the men chosen are chosen of God. I doubt God would ever view any of those selections, even those who later fell away, as "missed opportunities."
You don't "presume to know the mechanics of how a prophet selects a new apostle," and yet you don't hesitate to point out that there is no possible way it was done in the fashion some have suggested. Isn't your dismissal of any idea about choosing an apostle a presumption to know the mechanics of how apostles are chosen?

Hint: the correct answer is "yes."
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
This is precisely what I believe Arch is doing. Arch, have you ever been in a position where you've had to prayerfully find counselors or people to fill positions in church?

Methinks you speak in a position of complete ignorance, and given my experience of what goes on at the local level gives me no reason to believe that Pres Hinckley is different and relies more on geographic/cultural/racial/etc cronyism than exists on a local level.
Yes, I have (the question wasn't directed at me, but I will take it anyways). In each instance, the names I thought of first were people I was most comfortable with personally.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yes, I have (the question wasn't directed at me, but I will take it anyways). In each instance, the names I thought of first were people I was most comfortable with personally.
I haven't done that since being in the teacher's quorum and I only had 3 people to choose from as counselors and a secretary anyway.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #24
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I haven't done that since being in the teacher's quorum and I only had 3 people to choose from as counselors and a secretary anyway.
You think GBH knows very many people well enough to feel comfortable calling them? You have to know someone VERY well to feel comfortable calling them to the Q of the 12. That's why so many close relatives have been in Church leadership, often simultaenously. Relation is often more important than revelation, which is why I've had 3 pretty close relatives in the Q of the 12 in the past 25 years...and it's also why we've had so many Smiths in church leadership over the years.

And it's hard to call a brown person to the Q of the 12 if you don't know any very well.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Quote:
Right. I am certain that every person you have ever selected was totally unknown to you prior to selection and the name came to you (as opposed to being suggested to you by the bishop or SP).
Old 10-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Right. I am certain that every person you have ever selected was totally unknown to you prior to selection and the name came to you (as opposed to being suggested to you by the bishop or SP).
Unknown to me? No. Was I on a socially interactive basis with them? Very few.

I have never proposed someone that I was close friends with.

What I have done is prayerfully consider who would be best to fill that position. That has included several people that I had rarely said anything beyond "hello" to prior to that time.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #27
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That has included several people that I had rarely said anything beyond "hello" to prior to that time.
But calling a wild card just doesn't happen when it comes to the Q of the 12. It's almost always someone that the prophet knows very well.... always someone with whom the prophet and other members of the 12 have worked closely.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
But calling a wild card just doesn't happen when it comes to the Q of the 12. It's almost always someone that the prophet knows very well.... always someone with whom the prophet and other members of the 12 have worked closely.
And I think it is pretty easy to demonstrate that as being true. Can Indy come up with a single example of a person who would have been largely unknown to the 12 or to the prophet who was then called to the 12?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience with two bishops, I can't remember a single person being called to a position of responsibility where zero info was known about them. Now there may have been times where someone was unknown to the bishopric, but came with a strong recommendation from the RS president or other auxiliarly leader.

The point is the Lord expects us to use our brains. If a Bishop felt a strong impression to call someone that he did not know at all, I think most would then try to get to know the person first (interview) before making a final decision.

One of the exceptions to this in the church appears to be calling a stake president. Although in most cases the list of interviewed is pared down to people that have long histories of service in the stake in responsible callings. I have heard of an exception to this. A man called who had been in the stake for two weeks and was living with his family in a motel. Just about every single man who could have remotely been called was previously interviewed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

This thread is the most predictable one since the inception of Cougarguard.