cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #71
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Who first asked who to define themselves and outline their views What's most telling is you don't really want my answers but would be satisfied with me accepting your answers as my own
No, any answer would be fine. You refuse to explain your beliefs, preferring instead to ask leading questions and then commenting cryptically on the answers of others. What we've been able to glean of your actual beliefs though is quite shocking. We should put you in a museum to be preserved for future generations to marvel.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #72
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
No, any answer would be fine. You refuse to explain your beliefs, preferring instead to ask leading questions and then commenting cryptically on the answers of others. What we've been able to glean of your actual beliefs though is quite shocking. We should put you in a museum to be preserved for future generations to marvel.
I see. You cannot contend with my ideas and beliefs so that makes me an oddity -thank you for the compliment. Interesting that you choose to denegrate instead of engage. Have you read any of the writing in the link I posted? Oh, let me guess, you cannot be bothered. Because you are smarter and you were correct BEFORE this converstation even started. Interesting
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #73
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I see. You cannot contend with my ideas and beliefs so that makes me an oddity -thank you for the compliment. Interesting that you choose to denegrate instead of engage. Have you read any of the writing in the link I posted? Oh, let me guess, you cannot be bothered. Because you are smarter and you were correct BEFORE this converstation even started. Interesting
I am getting tired of this conversation so I now believe that TB does not exist. Does somebody have tb's phone number? I would like to express my sadness to Mrs. tb for her loss.

tb was right we could not contend with his ideas of a fluid truth. He was right all along. Too bad he is gone, I will miss his posts.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #74
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I am getting tired of this conversation so I now believe that TB does not exist. Does somebody have tb's phone number? I would like to express my sadness to Mrs. tb for her loss.

tb was right we could not contend with his ideas of a fluid truth. He was right all along. Too bad he is gone, I will miss his posts.
I'm not claiming I'm right and you're wrong ... that's kinda the point -we are both right and wrong!

Is a doughnut a doughnut without the hole?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #75
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Is a doughnut a doughnut without the hole?
Is an Apple Fritter a donut? How about a creme or jelly filled?

Now that you've brought this discussion down to my level, I can get on board.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #76
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I was not going to add to this thread until woot had the temerity to refer to Bokonoism without attribution. It is,my friends, a creation of one fo my favorite authors, Kurt VOnnegut, who recently passed away after a long life of trying to comit suicide lawfully but slowly by smoking cigaretes (according to him).
Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #77
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I was not going to add to this thread until woot had the temerity to refer to Bokonoism without attribution. It is,my friends, a creation of one fo my favorite authors, Kurt VOnnegut, who recently passed away after a long life of trying to comit suicide lawfully but slowly by smoking cigaretes (according to him).
I love Vonnegut.... the world will miss his wit.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #78
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Pardon any offense, as it was certainly unintended, Vonnegut is, indeed, the man. The strange man, but the man nonetheless.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #79
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Pardon any offense, as it was certainly unintended, Vonnegut is, indeed, the man. The strange man, but the man nonetheless.
No offense taken, I just wanted some proper attribution. I take pride as having been one of the few people (I am guessing here) that has ever qoted VOnnegut in a sacramnet meeting (during my mission farewell, no less).
Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #80
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

This could have been a much more interesting thread. Perhaps it would have been better placed in religious studies. That way we could have had a conversation about what has been authoritatively said about the Garden of Eden/Missouri/Gathering. My sense from SEIQ's first post is that there might be at least a little cultural myth going on here with less official support in the record than one might think. I would have liked to see that fleshed out.

I'm not telling anyone what to say, but the typical threadjack that involves poster 1 saying "religious belief or some aspect of it is absurd" and poster 2 saying "I will now defend my objectively absurd belief" followed by further argument, rebuttal, rejoinder, etc is boring. It is a fools errand.

I respect both those who hold religious beliefs and those who don't. There are reasons to be in either camp. But if you can't start with the idea that there are good reasons to be in either, you are going to waste a lot of time trying to prove or disprove that which cannot be empirically proven or disproven.