cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default Quite posibly the worst injury I've seen...

I was watching this match when it happened. They didn't show the replay because it was so bad. I did find these photos after.
The start of it...

It almost cost him his foot.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this on ESPN's page the other night. Brutal tackle. Is that guy going to be suspended forever?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

That reminds of that short-lived trampoline basketball sport a few years ago. One guy missed the trampoline and ended up with his foot hanging from his leg by the skin on one side. That may have been what cause the sport's demise. Or it could have been how stupid it was. Either way.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Looks like he will be suspended for the typical 3 matches. Tackles like that happen every week, very few end up like this.

The tackle was on purpose. I don't think he meant to cause the injury (of course).

That being said, the injured player was a great player. Now the mighty Arsenal are down to 2 strikers and the Croatian national team are left to play Euro '08 without their best goal scorer.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
Looks like he will be suspended for the typical 3 matches. Tackles like that happen every week, very few end up like this.

The tackle was on purpose. I don't think he meant to cause the injury (of course).

That being said, the injured player was a great player. Now the mighty Arsenal are down to 2 strikers and the Croatian national team are left to play Euro '08 without their best goal scorer.
The photo makes it look like there is no chance at getting the ball, but that may be an illusion. The poor striker had the bad luck of having his foot firmly planted in the ground as the guy hits him with full weight.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

That's why it would have been yellow card offense if the leg foot wasn't facing the opposite direction. It was a professional fould meant to stop the momentum of Eduardo.

It happens all the time in the "wussie" sport of soccer. It just happened this one time, Eduardo had his foot in the only position that would have made this injury possible.

Kudos for the BBC crew covering the game for not showing the replay once. I remember when the kid from Alabama brok his ankle similarly against Florida and I saw that replay no less than 10 times before the game started back up again.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw that happen live on Fox Soccer channel. I can see now that it was a lot worse than shown on the broadcast.

For me, however, that wasn't as bad as when Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theisman's leg - another injury I saw live. I think it was worse than the soccer injury because you could actually see it snap like a matchstick. LT's reaction said it all.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

That's a brutal injury. Even more miraculous is the recovery of most soccer players who feign an injury like that nightly and then get up and play on after drawing a card on the opponent.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
That's a brutal injury. Even more miraculous is the recovery of most soccer players who feign an injury like that nightly and then get up and play on after drawing a card on the opponent.
You must not watch a lot of soccer, just a few games here and there.

Two Words: Manu Ganobli (or however you spell that flopper's name).
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
You must not watch a lot of soccer, just a few games here and there.

Two Words: Manu Ganobli (or however you spell that flopper's name).
Fuegote, I'm a soccer lover so don't take this wrong, but soccer is more accepting of flopping than any other sport I've ever watched. I was watching Juventus v Torino last night and Nedved got pissed and came up behind the guy he was mad at and pulled his hair (you would never see that one in the US). The guy who got his hair pulled made a face like he'd been shot, lurched backward and hit the ground rolling, holding the back of his head. It worked. Nedved got red carded but man, at what price manhood?