cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steve Martin comedy

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My favorite Steve Martin comedy was a film most people have never heard of--Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. I loved the "cleaning woman!" gag.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
My favorite Steve Martin comedy was a film most people have never heard of--Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. I loved the "cleaning woman!" gag.
That was a great show. Martin and Bogart worked well together, didn't they?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That was a very clever film, and it's one of our favorites. The missus and I reenact one scene occasionally. Steve Martin finds Rachel Ward (in her absolute prime) lying unconscious on the couch and he stares at her fine physique. The following dialogue ensues:

Rigby Reardon: [narrating] Was she real? There was only one way to find out. But I remember Marlowe's words.
Rigby Reardon: What the hell does Marlowe know?
Rigby Reardon: [narrating while squeezing her rack] She was real alright.
Juliet Forrest: What are you doing?
Rigby Reardon: Adjusting your breasts. You fainted and they... shifted all outta whack. There.
Juliet Forrest: Thank you.
Rigby Reardon: You're Welcome.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
That was a very clever film, and it's one of our favorites. The missus and I reenact one scene occasionally. Steve Martin finds Rachel Ward (in her absolute prime) lying unconscious on the couch and he stares at her fine physique. The following dialogue ensues:

Rigby Reardon: [narrating] Was she real? There was only one way to find out. But I remember Marlowe's words.
Rigby Reardon: Adjusting your breasts. You fainted and they... shifted all outta whack. There.
Bishop, I always wondered if a guy tunes into Tokyo whether that is a reportable offense, or whether that just is my practicing to be Rigby Reardon?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bishop, I always wondered if a guy tunes into Tokyo whether that is a reportable offense, or whether that just is my practicing to be Rigby Reardon?
I confess I had no idea what you were talking about, although it was clear you were referring to something other than ham radio. My advanced years have left me with a vocabulary that is sadly out of date, but thanks to the Urban Dictionary, I eventually got up to speed. I thank you for adding to my expanding Wortschatz.

As for your question, the answer lies in whether (a) the radio you are tuning does not object, and (b) you are not contractually bound to use a different radio. If both items are true, then your bishop does not need to be bothered with your avocation.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As for your question, the answer lies in whether (a) the radio you are tuning does not object, and (b) you are not contractually bound to use a different radio. If both items are true, then your bishop does not need to be bothered with your avocation.
Serious!?! That bit of advice could have saved me a ton of embarassment in the MTC.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Serious!?! That bit of advice could have saved me a ton of embarassment in the MTC.
If tuning the radio doesn't need to be noticed, what's wrong with plugging into the entire sterio system, as long as no previous contractual obligations prevent it and the sterio system prefers that?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

LOL. It's like watching a clip of the scene.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote