cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default WNBA epiphany

Sometimes discovering one of your deeply entrenched notions is all wrong can bring a shot of pleasure. Like last night, when I attended my first WNBA game (Seattle Storm vs. Detroit Shock). If you're sick to death of the NBA's sense of entitlement, blackmailing, cynicism, arrogance, lack of integrity, shameless pursuit of handouts, malaise, hot doggery, florid tatoos, aloofness, etc., check out the WNBA. Key arena was over half full, and very loud. The fans were hard core, like hocky, with noise sticks and pom poms and clatterers galore. The whole show had the same look and feel as the NBA, the national anthem and huge flag followed by the lazar light show at the start, the piped organ and rock and roll music, the jumbotron and mosaics of colored lights, but in many ways the innocence of a college basketball game and intimacy of minor league baseball. The cheer leaders are dressed in pj like outfits and between the third and fourth quarters volunteers poured down from the stands to do a dance that looked like a long twisting and bending centipede.

The teams were enthusiastic, but played with the discipline of a game between NCAA elite. With these women, playmaking and tough man to man defense are staples. There were plenty of alley-oop layins, difficult shots in traffic made, fast break baskets and long three pointers swished. Between both teams there were a half dozen or so current or former Olympians. After the game, a few of the players came out and talked to folks and signed autographs. I was with a charity group that raises funds for disabled children and a very attractive young lady came out and told us a little about herself. She discussed her enthusiasm for Europe when she plays there in the offseason, the talented Euro leagues, and her desire to have children some day.

Sorry women if I sound condescending. I don't mean to. I've never really paid much attention to the women's game. I'm impressed.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Lauren Jackson could fuck you up in about 3 minutes cowboy.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I have given the WNBA an honest effort. When it first launched, I went to 2 Starzz games.

I have been to a couple of Sparks games in LA.

In every instance, I get bored very quickly by the awful quality of play. We only made it through an entire game once....it was at the very beginning of the league, when the Sparks came to SLC to play the Starzz and they had that really tall Chinese woman on the team. We hung around afterwards to meet her and say hello. She was...well.....tall.

I think there is a reason the stands are usually empty...and it isn't homophobia.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with you SU. The WNBA is absolutely fabulous. Some time ago we had a thread about the WNBA. UteStar and I were left alone carrying that flaming torch against sexist cavemen like Lingo.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

We could have used SU this day.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11781
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have given the WNBA an honest effort. When it first launched, I went to 2 Starzz games.

I have been to a couple of Sparks games in LA.

In every instance, I get bored very quickly by the awful quality of play. We only made it through an entire game once....it was at the very beginning of the league, when the Sparks came to SLC to play the Starzz and they had that really tall Chinese woman on the team. We hung around afterwards to meet her and say hello. She was...well.....tall.

I think there is a reason the stands are usually empty...and it isn't homophobia.
This from the guy who sends "the girl" down the street with a twenty to pick him up some sodas.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This from the guy who sends "the girl" down the street with a twenty to pick him up some sodas for him.
Why so mean?

You are oozing with envy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

I know that the WNBA team in Sacramento has both a Gay Night and a Gay Lesbian Night. And they're the two best attended games of the entire season each year. That's sad.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Sorry women if I sound condescending. I don't mean to. I've never really paid much attention to the women's game. I'm impressed.
Are you impressed enough to buy season tickets and attend at least half the games? If not, I don't know that it counts as an epiphany. More like a, "Well now, that was interesting."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote