cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #51
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Do you think we should go easy on women in general? Yes or no.
If they post on here and make stupid comments like Requiem (assuming "she" was actually a woman)? No.

If they happen to be guilty of nothing more than being married to a public figure but do nothing to draw attention to themselves? Yes.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #52
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Do you think we should go easy on women in general? Yes or no.
Do you?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #53
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe I am way out of line here (Rocky can let me know), but I have noticed that many of us often get upset when someone makes frank comments about someone's wife. While I understand the sentiment, I can't help but feel like we are being more than a little patronizing/sexist. I.e., protecting the "weaker sex". For example, suppose we were discussing a famous woman and someone made a negative comment about that person's husband. Would we see a similar kind of chivalry? I doubt it.

Ironically, SU often posts information on his wife's work and takes tons of abuse. Why the double standard? Is it because she is a strong, intelligent, career woman? I admire how SU handles it. He doesn't get too worked up about it.
DOn't you see a difference? SU is here and posted it voluntarily. President Monson is not here (is he?) and his wife is very low profile. Additionally, from my point of view, I choose to try to offer respect for them both and avoid derogatory language.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #54
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Okay, I will reveal myself as a Mullah (myboynoah, I am with you now).

I consider President Monson a public figure so I dont mind the speculation so much for him (I think its a bit silly) but the speculation about Sister Monson is in poor taste in my view. Particularly labeling her as a "hag." I understand she has some public profile but its fairly modest. Now if someone writes a hagiographic biography about her then I would be symphatetic to more realistic portraits but I don't think we are at that point ...

P.S.

Yes MW, I will nominate myself for mullah of the year
Great. Now we'll split the hardliner vote and Tex will slip in on the backs of the pinko moderates.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Maybe I am way out of line here (Rocky can let me know), but I have noticed that many of us often get upset when someone makes frank comments about someone's wife. While I understand the sentiment, I can't help but feel like we are being more than a little patronizing/sexist. I.e., protecting the "weaker sex". For example, suppose we were discussing a famous woman and someone made a negative comment about that person's husband. Would we see a similar kind of chivalry? I doubt it.

Ironically, SU often posts information on his wife's work and takes tons of abuse. Why the double standard? Is it because she is a strong, intelligent, career woman? I admire how SU handles it. He doesn't get too worked up about it.
I have always spoken positively about SU's wife.

Based on her video, she has a nice pair of gams and a nice set of yams.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #56
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
DOn't you see a difference? SU is here and posted it voluntarily. President Monson is not here (is he?) and his wife is very low profile. Additionally, from my point of view, I choose to try to offer respect for them both and avoid derogatory language.
But Jeff's point is would you care if she weren't a she. I hope I'm not being sexist here but it's just my personal observation that women litigtors are in general more hard bitten and ruthless than male litigators. But I realize this is a generalization and my experience may not be complete. FWIW.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #57
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
But Jeff's point is would you care if she weren't a she. I hope I'm not being sexist here but it's just my personal observation that women litigtors are in general more hard bitten and ruthless than male litigators. But I realize this is a generalization and my experience may not be complete. FWIW.

SUre I would care. I think you will find that I have not made comments about your wife. I also try to avodi making jokes or derogatory statements about church leaders. Apart from public figures, as Pelagius notes, such remakrs abotu persons not here to defend themselves seem improper to me. TObe onest, it probabyl bothers me more for women than men, but it still seems wrong to me.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #58
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I have noticed that the older female partners at my firm are almost, without exception, all stereotypical b*****s.....at least the ones I have met. Don't get me wrong...they are all extremely intelligent, capable, they bring in lots of revenue, they are strong leaders, etc.....but they are not well-liked, often difficult to work with, and sometimes nasty.

The younger female partners not so much...I mean the women that are in their late 30s, early 40s.

I chalk it up to a product of their times. The older female partners had to shatter the glass ceiling in the post-Womens Lib era. I would imagine that in order to prove themselves in the boys club, they had to show these hard characteristics to gain the respect of their male peers. After behaving in such a manner for so long, it just becomes how you operate professionally.

The newer female partners are benefitting from the path that was blazed before them by the b*****s, so there is less of a need to be hyper-aggressive to prove your mettle. I am not suggesting that barriers are eliminated, but I do think it is likely much better now for women in the workplace than it was in the 70s and 80s.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #59
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Is it just me or have I heard the thing about no props or asking the congregation to read scriptures in Sacrament talks before? I am sure this is not the first time this has been said. Perhaps it just came down from the local level in the past, but I know I have heard it before.

Also, danimal served with Pres. Hinckley's granddaughter. She said her grandpa was often pretty grumpy. It's hard to imagine him as such, but we all have personal lives. I am not surprised at all to hear that Pres. Monson had a fiery temper.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #60
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Is it just me or have I heard the thing about no props or asking the congregation to read scriptures in Sacrament talks before? I am sure this is not the first time this has been said. Perhaps it just came down from the local level in the past, but I know I have heard it before.
The restriction on audio visuals has been inplace for a long time. The one about not asking others to open sriptures was new to me.