cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so you are for pre-emptive wars in which their is no direct threat to America?

[God help us that not even Iraq can change people's minds about this]
How could you come to that conclusion from what I said.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
OK that is a fair definition. But then wouldn't it be easiest to fix the situation by putting in a US-friendly dictator like we have done so many times before in other places?
Sure, I'm all for a little realpolitik. Heck I'd be up for splitting the place up among the various groups if it were feasible from a regional standpoint. Lord knows we owe the Kurds at least that much after dicking them over repeatedly. Unfortunately we tend to back ourselves into a self-righteous, democracy's best corner making what you suggest a bit tricky in the short term. And there's always the problem of whoever we put in place lacking legitimacy in the eyes of his or her people and getting toppled. But for the short term we've got bigger fish to fry so it would probably be best to have a reliable dictator over the chaos that will more than likely occur if we pull out too early.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Sure, I'm all for a little realpolitik. Heck I'd be up for splitting the place up among the various groups if it were feasible from a regional standpoint. Lord knows we owe the Kurds at least that much after dicking them over repeatedly. Unfortunately we tend to back ourselves into a self-righteous, democracy's best corner making what you suggest a bit tricky in the short term. And there's always the problem of whoever we put in place lacking legitimacy in the eyes of his or her people and getting toppled. But for the short term we've got bigger fish to fry so it would probably be best to have a reliable dictator over the chaos that will more than likely occur if we pull out too early.
A couple thousand Americans died because of the idiocy of our installed dictator--Paul Bremer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #24
landpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Are you assuming that we have to support an invasion of every country that is broken?
I'm not sure what you're asking me here, but I don't believe Iraq was broken in the first place. Was Saddam a bad guy? Sure, but there are any number of bad guys running countries these days and I don't believe it's our job to right those wrongs.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
landpoke

Quote:
A couple thousand Americans died because of the idiocy of our installed dictator--Paul Bremer.
So what would you do in Iraq?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So what would you do in Iraq?
I would put a million desperately poor former soldiers on the streets with no opportunity for $, because their employment by govt. $ is banned.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #27
landpoke

Poof

Last edited by landpoke; 07-21-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Double post
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #28
landpoke

Quote:
I would put a million desperately poor former soldiers on the streets with no opportunity for $, because their employment by govt. $ is banned.
Yup, that was a screw up no doubt. Like I said we're almost genetically incapable of realpolitik in this country and our zeal to de-Baath Iraq reminds me of post WW-II Germany and our efforts there. I suspect we have an unofficial reversal of that policy in effect as we speak.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yup, that was a screw up no doubt. Like I said we're almost genetically incapable of realpolitik in this country and our zeal to de-Baath Iraq reminds me of post WW-II Germany and our efforts there. I suspect we have an unofficial reversal of that policy in effect as we speak.
Based on all the movies I have watched and what I have read, was WWII the only war where there no mistakes made. Was that because it was overseen by the democrats.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
landpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Based on all the movies I have watched and what I have read, was WWII the only war where there no mistakes made. Was that because it was overseen by the democrats.
No, you're right. The war was flawless, the occupation was effed up. That's why you never see any cool movies about the immediate post-war period.