cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
So you all do preform sexy sex rituals in your temples of lust. I knew it.
why don't you think we talk about it. Get baptized and be a faithful member for a year then you can come join us
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
the endowment ceremony?

In a public forum such as this are you comfortable in talking about the various signs, tokens and symbolic messages given during the movie?

Are you comfortable in the sanctity of your home with spouse and or children?

This recent talk of the temple has made me consider what the phrase, 'sacred not secret,' means to endowed LDS. When we covenant to a veil of secrecy concerning the endowment who are we kidding? The endowment is found on the internet, it's found in other secret societies and it's found in our scriptures. By keeping it a secret amongst ourselves and not talking about it whenever we feel appropriate are we bastardizing it's meaning as opposed to sanctifying it's meaning?
Not at all comfortable. I promised not to discuss sacred matters in public. Why would a different standard apply if I discuss it anonymously?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
So you all do preform sexy sex rituals in your temples of lust. I knew it.
You should see attendance when the girls from Hooters come over. We have record attendance on those nights.

You're really missing a swinging time. Join and find out.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't feel comfortable discussing those things, even though I no longer have anything to do with the Church. It's a matter of respect.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Maybe I finally know how Tex and Indy feel about most religious threads. "Are we really having this conversation?"
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I don't feel comfortable discussing those things, even though I no longer have anything to do with the Church. It's a matter of respect.
Good to see you around, perhaps I am not paying attention but I hadn't seen a thing from you for a while. I hope all is well.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Maybe I finally know how Tex and Indy feel about most religious threads. "Are we really having this conversation?"
Nah. If anything, this thread shows the reasonableness of most posters here. Even those of us who feel quite open to discuss many aspects of the church recognize clear boundaries that shouldn't be crossed.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Although I am a member, I can't see a desire to discuss things which culturally aren't accepted to be discussed. OTOH, what we traditionally don't discuss is very limited. What we may discuss is actually much greater than what we tend to refrain to discuss.

Why anybody really wishes to discuss the few items we're asked not to discuss is beyond me.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #19
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You honestly think discussing something on this forum sanctifies ANYTHING, let alone the endowment ceremony? I don't discuss it here because I don't believe that enough people value it enough, let alone will engage in any discussion that would make me glad for participating.
That's not what I said.

Do you discuss it with your wife outside the temple? Would you talk about it with adult children outside the celestial room?

I'm not asking to discuss it here.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I am not suggesting we start a detailed discussion on the temple ceremony, but fusnik brings up an interesting point. This whole "do not discuss" and sacred/secret nature of the thing makes the temple ceremony a very unique part of our religion. We analyze and dissect every issue of scripture, history, etc, but there is no discussion, no academic articles, no ensign articles, no priesthood/SS lessons etc. covering the real heart of the ceremony which is promoted as the pinnacle form of our worship. Sure you can discuss it in the temple, but given the nature of modern temple worship, opportunities for discussion inside the temple are almost non-existent. We promote it, we do it, then we go home and avoid talking about it. You have to admit that this is kind of bizarre.