cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitchen Confidential...

I just finished reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Very entertaining book. This was made into a comedy by NBC and I actually enjoyed the show as well but he was cancelled after 6 episodes.

This is a book by the head chef of Les Halles in New York City. It is crude, crass and very entertaining. Bourdain describes his career of failures at restaurants and his grand successes. He discusses what is like to be a chef in small time restaurants as well as some of the bigger and more well known places in New York. Swear words flow freely and the dinner discussions and arguments he has with his staff are wildly inappropriate and interesting to read and be a part of it.

He discusses a typical day for a chef (8am to 1am every single day), he discusses when not to order fish at a restaurant (Monday, never order it unless you like 4-day old fish that may or may not have been continually refrigerated), his injuries (grabbing hot plates bare handed to cutting mishaps, etc.) and his drug use (continual for 20 years until he gave it up over the last few years).

Anyway, it is worth a read if you have ever been curious as to what happens behind the doors of a fast action restaurant in NY.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I enjoyed it as well. It reinforced my knowledge that I would not have made it as a chef. Not that I ever tried. I just can't imagine living that life.

His second book, A Cooks Tour, was entertaining as well. I like his straightforward writing style. It is like you are sitting around in a backyard and he is just telling stories. like the kind you would tell among friends.
In A Cooks Tour, he goes around the world trying to find the perfect meal. He eats some crazy stuff, like the beating heart of a cobra snake.

Last edited by bigpiney; 07-11-2006 at 06:24 PM.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.