cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
There's some, but only some, truth to this, and it's an aspect of the "elite" that's certainly not to their credit. As a 3L, I interviewed with Morrison & Foerster. At the end of one interview, a young partner (the "Twit") touted the firm's many virtues and then, leaning back in his chair with his hands locked behind his head, observed smugly, "Yes, you could say that Morrison & Foerster and the Mormon Church don't have very much in common." I didn't get an offer.

Eight years later, as part of a migration away from my firm, Orrick Herrington, I met with MoFo's Chairman, Managing Partner, and the Twit where they presented me with an offer to become the first corporate/securities lawyer in their new Palo Alto office. The Twit didn't recall our interview eight years earlier, so I reminded him, in the presence of the others, of what he had said then (it really hadn't bothered me back then, but I was always amused by his condescending and self-satisfied tone). The Chairman recoiled in horror, and the Managing Partner invoked the name of Him after whom our church is named, and said, "You could have sued our asses off. Fortunately, we're a bit more enlightened now, and I apologize, rather belatedly, for what [the Twit] said." I laughed it off, and accepted the offer. Sometimes, SU, you remind me of the Twit.
Did you bear your testimony to the Twit, hoping the spirit would move him to hire you? Did you say something like, "All my life I had four goals, go on a mission, marry in the temple, go to BYU law shool, and work for MoFo"? If so on either count, I understand the Twit's response.

Note, I didin't say all elites dislike all Mormons, because that's not true.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #32
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I think dinner and a reenactment of Daniel and the lion's den at a stranger's house would be a weird first date no matter your religion.
I second this.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You need to go into her office and apologize, but only if you are sure the apology will end in making out.

Be cautious.
The difference between you and Levin is he's like the board's Larry David. His provocative stories involve, him, not others, doing incredibly stupid, boorish, and insensitive things.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Did you bear your testimony to the Twit, hoping the spirit would move him to hire you? Did you say something like, "All my life I had four goals, go on a mission, marry in the temple, go to BYU law shool, and work for MoFo"? If so on either count, I understand the Twit's response.

Note, I didin't say all elites dislike all Mormons, because that's not true.
He may have questioned my desire to kneel in prayer at the conclusion of our first interview. At the second, he volunteered to offer it.

But no, I never brought up BYU, the Church or Marc Wilson during our interview, although on my resume I had the cheek to list BYU as my school, and the fact that I'd spent two years trying to convert widowed hausfraus (I even used the benign "representative", not "missionary", code for I really don't want to get into the proselyting stuff). But the mere mention of the Church on a resume was enough for him to go off. I like the guy, despite his prediliction toward religion bashing. Again, you really remind me of him.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is weird.

Levin and a Catholic girl, boy can I tell you stories but that's another matter, discuss luring in a new date with a family homespun telling of Daniel and the Lion's den.

So CG goes to atheist who says, bad move if you want to get the groove, babe, they're Mormons.

CG reveals to Levin, "hey, you Mormons aren't cool, so I need to get my groove on somewhere else."

Levin explodes, "You narrow-minded religious bigoted bitch."

Gee, Levin, with ambassadors like you SU may be well on his way to proving his point. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #36
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
No. More. Preaching.

I know I overreacted.
Honestly, I don't have a problem with your reaction. She was the one who put you on the spot on this. She (and the guy who talked to her) should be the one apologizing.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Levin, I would kick it up a notch.

Go the guy's office and write "Achtung Juden" on his door.

He won't know it was you, but he will think twice the next time he disparages Mormons.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #38
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

One of the guys in my cardiology fellowship here in Houston is a non-LDS guy from Seattle who did his residency in Salt Lake City. He loves Salt Lake City and may end up taking a job there next year. He is a pretty good friend and I take a lot of good-natured kidding from him and others about being LDS, but it's never mean-spirited and usually complimentary.

But he said something one day in front of a bunch of people like, "Salt Lake City was great. I loved it there. I didn't even know any Mormons."

I almost called him out on it, asking him if I could say I loved New York City because I didn't even know any Jews when I was there. I thought better of it and just let it go. I think stuff like this is almost a compliment to Mormons -- nobody views us as an oppressed group needing special P.C. treatment.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
One of the guys in my cardiology fellowship here in Houston is a non-LDS guy from Seattle who did his residency in Salt Lake City. He loves Salt Lake City and may end up taking a job there next year. He is a pretty good friend and I take a lot of good-natured kidding from him and others about being LDS, but it's never mean-spirited and usually complimentary.

But he said something one day in front of a bunch of people like, "Salt Lake City was great. I loved it there. I didn't even know any Mormons."

I almost called him out on it, asking him if I could say I loved New York City because I didn't even know any Jews when I was there. I thought better of it and just let it go. I think stuff like this is almost a compliment to Mormons -- nobody views us as an oppressed group needing special P.C. treatment.
See, if you offered to take him down to the best little houses in Houston, he'd think Mormons were cool.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #40
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
He may have questioned my desire to kneel in prayer at the conclusion of our first interview. At the second, he volunteered to offer it.

But no, I never brought up BYU, the Church or Marc Wilson during our interview, although on my resume I had the cheek to list BYU as my school, and the fact that I'd spent two years trying to convert widowed hausfraus (I even used the benign "representative", not "missionary", code for I really don't want to get into the proselyting stuff). But the mere mention of the Church on a resume was enough for him to go off. I like the guy, despite his prediliction toward religion bashing. Again, you really remind me of him.
Now that I know what elite securities industry circles you move in I'm going to have to blame you in part for this financial crisis. I'm sorry, but you're responsible, and no doubt extremely rich.

—Paul Auster