cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Non-BCS fought for zero spots in the four biggest bowls pre-BCS.
Yes, but they still had a chance to be national champion.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriously? Why?
The bowl season truly sucks now. Back in the old days you could go into New Years day not knowing which of 3 or 4 teams was going to come out as #1. It made every game exciting and meaningful. Now none of them are. I used to watch every game. Now I'll watch BYU's bowl game and that's about it. I don't even watch the fake championship game. The conference tie ins have ruined everything. The bowls are not free to pursue the best matchup. They have their hands tied with all this Big East #4 vs. ACC #5 crap. I hate it. Basketball's post season is so much better.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
The bowl season truly sucks now. Back in the old days you could go into New Years day not knowing which of 3 or 4 teams was going to come out as #1. It made every game exciting and meaningful. Now none of them are. I used to watch every game. Now I'll watch BYU's bowl game and that's about it. I don't even watch the fake championship game. The conference tie ins have ruined everything. The bowls are not free to pursue the best matchup. They're stuck with all this Big East #4 vs. ACC #5 crap. I hate it. Basketball's post season is so much better.
You know you are in the minority right? College football ratings and especially ratings for the big bowl games at the end of the year are up.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
BlueK

Quote:
Non-BCS fought for zero spots in the four biggest bowls pre-BCS.
That's not true. Every bowl had an open spot. Only three of them had an auto bid. The Fiesta had two open spots. BYU would have gone to one of those bowls in 1984 had the WAC not been tied to the Holiday Bowl. in 1985 the UTEP game was the only thing that kept us from a new years bowl, and we still went to the Citrus Bowl that year which became a new years bowl the very next season.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #25
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
You know you are in the minority right? College football ratings and especially ratings for the big bowl games at the end of the year are up.
After many years of being way down. And I don't think you're talking about the ratings for non-BCS bowls. And if I'm in the minority it's because so many fans aren't old enough to remember the old days.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

For all the crowing about the BCS, has there been a national champion or co-champion that was considered largely unworthy to be the champ?

Ironically, BYU is probably the only example of massive controversy in a national champ, and that is under the old system.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
For all the crowing about the BCS, has there been a national champion or co-champion that was considered largely unworthy to be the champ?

Ironically, BYU is probably the only example of massive controversy in a national champ, and that is under the old system.
Not the point.

Before, non-BCS teams had a shot. The BCS teams decided that they alone deserved a chance at being named national champions and excluded the rest.

And why was it controversy for BYU to be named champion? It was the only undefeated team that year.

The only people griping were those that eventually became the BCS.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not the point.

Before, non-BCS teams had a shot. The BCS teams decided that they alone deserved a chance at being named national champions and excluded the rest.
you keep saying this and it is wrong.

non bcs teams still have a shot now. it is higly unlikely, but they have a shot.

also, you seem to imply that non-bcs used to have a really good chance back in the day, when in reality, it took a miracle for BYU to win the championship back then, as well.

the only thing that has really changed between pre-bcs and non is that now the money stays in the right coffers. under both regimes, our crappy wac and mwc schools had a snowball's chance.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I think there has been 2 times during the BCS era that a few teams had a legit complaint to be in the National Championship game. Auburn in 04 and yes you could throw Utah in that year, see strength of schedule though and USC and Georgia last year.

You could easily say the BCS has been very lucky because there were 2 unexpected upsets at the end of the season the past 2 years that would have mad it so the eventual champ wouldn't have even played in that game. You could just say that the system worked itself out. The system was damn lucky the past 2 years.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I think there has been 2 times during the BCS era that a few teams had a legit complaint to be in the National Championship game. Auburn in 04 and yes you could throw Utah in that year, see strength of schedule though and USC and Georgia last year.

You could easily say the BCS has been very lucky because there were 2 unexpected upsets at the end of the season the past 2 years that would have mad it so the eventual champ wouldn't have even played in that game. You could just say that the system worked itself out. The system was damn lucky the past 2 years.
My point was that the champion usually is the right champion.

Back in 2004, if we were under the old scenario, the same teams would have been shafted anyway. #1 and #2 may not have played each other, but assuming one of the two of them won its bowl game, then what Auburn and Utah did would not have made any difference.