cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default rebuildtheparty

Several of you were lamenting about the state of the GOP and wondering about her future. New coalition launched today:

www.rebuildtheparty.org

Not just about re-evaluating platform, but about reassessing the entire structure and strategy of the GOP, which this coalition suggests is entirely out-of-date.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

my bad. It's www.rebuildtheparty.com, not org.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Another slap in the face to the sitting President.

That guy can't get out of Dodge fast enough.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Interesting and definitely something that the Republican party needs to do, but that only addresses the symptoms and not the root cause of the slide. Is it not possible for someone to stand up within the party and say we need to put fiscal policy to the front and social policy to the back on the party platform? Without that I'm afraid efforts like this won't produce much.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
my bad. It's www.rebuildtheparty.com, not org.

There is a Romneyite in The Coalition. This group will get full buy-in from me if they restart the Five Brothers blog.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Interesting and definitely something that the Republican party needs to do, but that only addresses the symptoms and not the root cause of the slide. Is it not possible for someone to stand up within the party and say we need to put fiscal policy to the front and social policy to the back on the party platform? Without that I'm afraid efforts like this won't produce much.
Well, I think we need both -- it was clear from the get go that the Republicans were woefully underprepared for just how internet-driven this race would be. But I also think we need to face the fact that, frankly, people like fiscal responsibility, but only if it means we don't have to pay any more taxes or cut any programs. I also think we have to face the reality that the party, as it is right now, is not viable without the evangelical voting block. So, I think working on the infrastructure is just as important, and can begin immediately, whereas addressing the ideology is going to be more difficult. I think they want to address the infrastructure in part in hopes of facilitating the ideological debate.

I'm rambling and not making any sense. But if you know those guys listed on the side, you know that they are all committed to reclaiming the ideology, so that's not going to be an afterthought. But they're all also young enough to recognize the need for practical, strategic redirection as well.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There is a Romneyite in The Coalition. This group will get full buy-in from me if they restart the Five Brothers blog.
Sign me up. Those Romney boys are hot.