cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
observer

observer is on a distinguished road
Default A very simple personal story.

I know we should not get offended in church, and I never thought I would ever enjoy being a ward "project", but I learned a few things about myself yesterday.

I have been dealing with some exceptionally heavy issues recently, and attending church has been very low on my list of priorities. The bishop knows exactly what I am going through, and has been very supportive and helpful. Last month I told him I was done with church for awhile, and have not been back since. Well, Friday morning my wife and I were meeting with him discussing things yet again, I got my feelings hurt by something he said, and I basically stormed out of his office. For two days I thought my marriage and my membership in the church were both coming to an end. Then for some reason, I attended Sacrament Meeting yesterday with my family. I really don't know why I went, but I did, and it was a pretty good experience.

As I was sitting in the chapel waiting for church to start, each member of the bishopric came over one by one, sat down next to me, shook my hand, and had a very sincere 5-minute conversation with me. I know I have been the topic of discussion in their meetings recently, and they have been worried about me, but I was surprised at their sincerity and compassion. Normally this attention would have really upset me, but I wasn't bothered at all by it. In fact, it was very refreshing and comforting to speak with them. I didn't feel like they "had" to speak with me - it was more like they truly cared. I haven't felt that way for a very long time in church.

Anyway, I'm not sure where my activity level will be from here on out, but suffice it to say that I feel much better about myself and the prospects of saving my marriage etc.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
observer

observer is on a distinguished road

I am 40 years old and have never had such a supportive bishop in my entire life. I truly feel like he cares about my well being, and not just the well being of the ward/church if that makes sense. With some of the issues I have been dealing with, it would not have surprised me to have him bid me farewell, but he simply has not done so. Hopefully, I will be able to do what I need to in order to try and make things better for my family.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote