cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Heard this evening on the Metro ride home

"Did you hear another 65,000 jobs were lost today?" she asked a fellow passenger. "Yep, that sucks," he said. "I know," she responded, "It's times like these that make me glad I work for the government."

Washington, D.C., Metro railcar, red line, traveling between Farragut North and Dupont Circle stations.

What I wanted to say out loud: "For every job lost in the private sector, the federal government seems to create two. Instead, they should fire half the federal workforce and with the savings give me a tax cut."
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The last time I rode on that very metro line, some woman who claimed to be locked out of her BMW 760i asked me for $14 so she could catch a bus to Maryland, promising to send $50 in return. When I declined, she got in my face and cursed me out. When I suggested she go ask someone else, she screamed DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO and cursed me out a second time.

It was the morning of my birthday.

P.S. According to CNN money, it's 71,000 jobs lost today.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
"Did you hear another 65,000 jobs were lost today?" she asked a fellow passenger. "Yep, that sucks," he said. "I know," she responded, "It's times like these that make me glad I work for the government."

Washington, D.C., Metro railcar, red line, traveling between Farragut North and Dupont Circle stations.

What I wanted to say out loud: "For every job lost in the private sector, the federal government seems to create two. Instead, they should fire half the federal workforce and with the savings give me a tax cut."
I don't appreciate your broadcasting my subway conversations like this.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote