cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nevada switch hits with SB 283

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/...ory.cfm?ID=764

Nevada Switches its position by the mere change of a word or two from having an anti-gay marriage to having a domestic partnership law which makes them virtually identical to marriages, except you file a business entity.

Interestingly, DPs are not limited to gay couples, invoke the divorce statutes and may present fascinating opportunities for legal squabbles down the road. Everybody needs to invest more money with lawyers, God Save the Queen, or at least us lawyers.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/...ory.cfm?ID=764

Nevada Switches its position by the mere change of a word or two from having an anti-gay marriage to having a domestic partnership law which makes them virtually identical to marriages, except you file a business entity.

Interestingly, DPs are not limited to gay couples, invoke the divorce statutes and may present fascinating opportunities for legal squabbles down the road. Everybody needs to invest more money with lawyers, God Save the Queen, or at least us lawyers.
so can a non-member couple with a domestic partnership get baptized?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so can a non-member couple with a domestic partnership get baptized?
I think you know the answer.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you know the answer.
No I don't, and neither do you, since I doubt it has ever come up before in the USA.

On my mission, in my area, it was not required to be married to be baptized. Yet in other parts of the mission, it was a requirement. Essentially an arbitrary decision designed to maximize baptisms (where it was required, the missionary work was successful, so they could afford the extra barrier. Where I was, the work was difficult, and such a requirement would have dropped baptisms to almost nil).

In this case, I think betting men could all agree that the words "domestic partnership" are nuclear to the church, and for political reasons, they would not accept it.

But let's not pretend there is some written-in-stone principle here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No I don't, and neither do you, since I doubt it has ever come up before in the USA.

On my mission, in my area, it was not required to be married to be baptized. Yet in other parts of the mission, it was a requirement. Essentially an arbitrary decision designed to maximize baptisms (where it was required, the missionary work was successful, so they could afford the extra barrier. Where I was, the work was difficult, and such a requirement would have dropped baptisms to almost nil).
Marriage isn't a requirement of baptism unless you're living with someone of the opposite sex. I'm confused how your mission president could dissolve that requirement. Did unmarried live-in partners just "promise" to be chaste? Seems unlikely.

Quote:
In this case, I think betting men could all agree that the words "domestic partnership" are nuclear to the church, and for political reasons, they would not accept it.

But let's not pretend there is some written-in-stone principle here.
It depends. The basic requirement here is chastity. If you have to homosexual men living together who are in a DP and are living chaste lives, then fine. As I suggest above, seems unlikely.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote