cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HB Arnett on the Las Vegas Bowl Debacle

Maybe this is old news to those of you who pay attention (unlike me).

The MWC has re-upped with the Las Vegas Bowl for an addition 4 years, locking in til 2013. They still get first choice among the MWC teams. And that will be matched from #5 Pac-10.

Apparently some fans were miffed that the Holiday Bowl didn't take on the MWC. Apparently they considered it--taking the MWC champion instead of Pac-10 #2. But the Big 12 vetoed it, according to Arnett's sources, (which for all I know might be CB) saying that they would never agree to a bowl which paired them with the MWC. That in fact the Pac-10 didn't want to agree to the Las Vegas Bowl, but ESPN forced it.

Arnett also makes the point that of 117 Division 1 teams, only 27 are west of Dallas. And that the Pac-10 is shooting themselves in the foot by not working to make the other schools in the West stronger.

He also says the Pac-10 does not nearly have the influence of the Big 12, SEC, and Big10 in the BCS cartel. I guess they don't have "the cigars", as A&M fans say. The cigars are the fellas with the big pocketbooks, and the private jets, who call the shots at these BCS universities in the South.

Sure is a shitty system, but hey, cigars have to eat too.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote