cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU vs. St. Mary's 2010

Game was televised on FCS with the barest of implements, including my parents camcorder, and an Apple IIe computer stolen from a storage closet in a rural elementary school in West Texas.

This game was important. For one, the Gaels were in the Sweet 16 last year. For two, we will be playing them a lot in the future in the WCC.

We had a common opponent already. Mississippi Valley State. They beat them handily, but we demolished them by 50.

In this S. Padre tournament, we had squeaked by S. Florida in double overtime, they had beaten Texas Tech handily.

I'll cut to the end....if you've read the reports on the game, you will know how it ended. BYU down by 1, last possession. Jimmer with the ball about 15 feet from the 3 point line, man sets pick. Jimmer drives to his right on same side his man had been (i.e. opposite of the pick). He's driving hard to the right, just outside of the 3 point line, his man there with him, then he brings the ball back to his left hand as he plants and jumps and releases the shot. Boom. That's an indefensible shot. As the defender all your momentum is going with the drive, and when the offensive player plants and drives up and in the opposite direction, you just can't react quickly enough to alter the shot. Unless you have anticipated it. But in this case, the defender needed to prevent the 2 as well as the 3. I've had this shot nailed on me a number of times. I have a friend who played college ball. Very compact 5'6" black guy, built like a tank, with a deadly jump shot. He does this exact shot.

Anyway, enough of that. What else did we learn? Archaea-like, I am already dreading 2011-2012. Losing Jimmer and Emery Jackson. Jackson is very underrated. He is very quick, great on defense, gets a lot of steals, runs the floor, and is nails from the 3 point line. We are going to miss him. I'm just not sure what the guard play is going to look like next year.

Kyle Collinsworth showed me a little more. Got a better look at his defense. His feet are quicker than I had previously thought. He is comfortable with the ball in his hands, has good handles. You get the impression that he doesn't have the green light. Whether that is because of the coaches or self-imposed. He has promise.

Davies has promise too. But still extremely raw and prone to bonehead plays. He did have a very nice play in the game, monster follow-up dunk on a missed shot. Kid needs to work on his freethrows.

Abouo--I am really not high on this kid. I keep seeing plays from him that are just not worthy of the level of this team. Bad passes, poor decisions. I'm not talking passes that are off by a little. I'm talking about passes that would make you shake your head in the local pickup game. His role will be on defense. And offensive rebounding. Keep the rock out of his hands.

Hartsock, solid. He will be the leader of the team next year.

Anderson, Magnusson, Martineau. Not too sure about the quality here. Haven't seen enough of Martineau. Of these 3, he might have the most promise.

Stephen Rogers is the real wildcard. Came in with some hype. So far, yet to justify it. Not getting many minutes, and not doing a lot with the minutes he does have. He hasn't fit in well yet with the other players. He's 6-8, but he's not built thickly. I honestly don't really know what position he will/can play. Finesse guy that I have yet to see much finesse from. I guess he would play the 3, but can he guard the other team's 3s? What would be nice is an off-the-bench scorer that can get some of his own shots off when Jimmery, Emery, and Hartsock are not on the floor (the 3 primary scorers).

The game against Creighton is important. And then the games against UCLA and Arizona. This team has real question marks on the interior. I haven't mentioned Chris C. yet, he sprained his ankle against MSVU. So haven't seen him lately. But I think he will be very solid, esp. on D.

I think this team struggles against teams that have talented interior guys. And also could struggle against teams with excellent defensive backcourts. Jimmer is the only guy that can really create his own shot, and I've seen where he has struggled at times.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some decent thoughts from Wrubell:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=13448171
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote