cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Article on Richard Dutcher leaving the church

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifesty...-film.html.csp

He says one day he asked the question if the church was true, and one minute later he was no longer a believer.

The whole thing might hold more interest if were a more important artist. I personally think he overrates himself by a substantial amount.

But even then he will at least always be a footnote in the history of LDS arts because of "God's Army."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It's always sad to see someone lose their faith, but I don't believe for a minute that his was lost in an instant. One could already seen the sown seeds in God's Army; I mean, who is he kidding? The fact that his "moment" came during research for an "epic" on Joseph Smith is almost too ironic for words.

The man is also wildly narcissistic. He writes, directs, and stars in his own films. After his loss of faith, he writes a "dark" missionary drama, and then a 2nd film about a videographer "who used to have dreams of being a great filmmaker." He looks terrible in the video.

Unfortunate for him personally, but no doubt something that had been in the wings for quite some time.

BTW, this is a small point, but "art" is the laziest excuse for violating social norms, in film or in life.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He appears to be someone who considers himself a disillusioned voice of a generation. How did he get to the point where he would ever consider himself a massively talented artist? After "God's Army"? Massive ego. Along with massive insecurity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narciss...ssistic_injury

I had thought he left the church a few years ago. Is he doing it in stages, with maximum publicity?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Dutcher remains a friend of the Church and isn't anti. Let's cut him some slack.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Dutcher remains a friend of the Church and isn't anti. Let's cut him some slack.
Hold on a sec there, pard, no one's calling him an anti. I'm simply calling bull on his instantaneous apostasy. And I think he has an ego as big as Delicate Arch.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote