cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard-ass Bishops

The first Bishop that I worked with closely was a very kind man. Very much not a hard-ass. Seemed like the kind of guy that would always give others the benefit of the doubt.

Then he was replaced with another man, with a very different personality. Older, and old school. A fierce sense of propriety, that there are honorable ways of being, and there are dishonorable ways of being. Not afraid to call out the ward, or the priesthood quorums. A little bit fiery. But also kind and warm in most settings. He was not a stern guy all the time.

Anyway, it was my impression that there were a number of people on welfare assistance in the ward under the first Bishop. And when the second Bishop came on, he apprised the situation, and decided that the welfare train was coming to a halt, and that people could expect only temporary assistance. This was never directly shown to me, but it was my distinct impression. It was also my impression that some of these people got very upset.

I may be wrong about this. These were just impressions. But it goes to something that I have been thinking about lately. What to do with people that struggle to help themselves. That struggle to keep jobs, struggle to take care of themselves in very basic ways. That seem to lack the values that are usually essential for success--hard work, gumption, honesty.

The first Bishop was a "benefit of the doubt" guy. "Who am I to judge" guy. The second Bishop was tough love. Kick people out of the nest and get things moving. I don't think you could go to the second Bishop having been out of work for half a year, and report that you had no applications for jobs anywhere, and expect receive support. Or if you did receive support, it would require a complete 180 immediately.

I believe men's personalities influence how they handle money and power, that is, how they act as a Judge in Israel. And they receive inspiration within that personal framework. Did God suddenly want a hard-ass approach in my ward? I don't think so. Did he want a non-hard-ass approach before the second Bishop? I don't think so.

I wonder what kind of things I would do. Or be inclined to do. How do you help people in these very trying circumstances? Poor people often have poor ways.

I'm afraid that the older I get, the less patient I have. And the more inclined I am to speak my mind and not accept sorry excuses. Or maybe I'm just in a snit that will pass.

One thing I know for sure, I don't envy what the many Bishops of this church have to do. Just the financial part would be such an incredible headache, I think, that the whole confession and discipline thing would be absolutely burying. Fatal. I don't even know how these men survive. Hard ass or not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm afraid that the older I get, the less patient I have.
Interesting. I'm moving the opposite way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One thing I know for sure, I don't envy what the many Bishops of this church have to do. Just the financial part would be such an incredible headache, I think, that the whole confession and discipline thing would be absolutely burying. Fatal. I don't even know how these men survive. Hard ass or not.
Ain't that the truth.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm less willing to defer, stand by and say nothing. That's what I mean by less patient.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote