cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An OLine observation from somebody

who sounds like he knows.

Not mine.

Quote:
I understand how some of you watched last weaks game and, specifically the second half and developed insecurities about our O-line, but before any more of you go jump of dooms day cliff, I thought I would give the perspective from an old offensive line coach.

First,

The running game in the first half was looking good, Doman was mixing it up between two back and double tight sets, in the two back formation, when the HB had a lead blocker and the O-line had a man blocking scheme the o-line did a nice job they were getting a 1-2 yard initial push and getting to the second level. In double tight sets, WSU would bring up the safety into the box to cover the H back, this was problematic because the TE struggled to get a release down to the SS freeing him or the LB to make a tackle in the zone blocking scheme. Hopefully Doman will see that on film and help the TE's correct that, if the TE's aren't working diligently on shucking defenders so they can release down field for a block or pass than that is a coaching issue.

Second,

The second half was different, Doman went conservative, most likely to show the yewts as little as possible, and use the time to sharpen plays they team maybe needed to work on and or try out less experienced players. The lack of blue zone scoring really was a result of Doman's commitment to the speed option. For those of you who don't know the difference between a dive option and a speed option go google it. The speed option was working, mostly because our Line is TERRIBLE at executing it. They don't reach block really well which tells me zone schemes are going to be a weakness this year, That is again, a coaching issue.

Third,

The pass blocking was good,blitzes were picked up, they moved the pocket well and they did a nice job shutting down Long.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, I'm not buying it.

The nose tackles were roasting marshmallows in the BYU backfield. He seems to have forgotten that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote