cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC is just not a team BYU should beat most years.....

While not a top tier BCS program, they are clearly in the top half of BCS teams. A solid program that should win about 7 games a year while playing in the ACC. BYU fans seem to have a level of confidence that only invites emotional suicide if the Eagles win the game.

Saying that, I still think this specific BYU team has a legitimate shot. BYU has a glut of experienced seniors and some strong peer leadership. While I think BYU can have better teams than this year, this years squad is solid.

I really don't know what to expect. Perhaps the Y receivers will just not be able to do anything against man coverage and BC will stack the box. Time will tell. I think that Mckay is gaining more and more experience and it is my belief that he is the most talented of the receivers, while being the most innexperienced. I thought Matt Allen had some good plays last week but while I recall folks telling exuberant Tulsa fans that BYU is not Stephen F. Austin, Tulsa is not BC. I think even more than the ability to run, the ability to force BC to respect the Y receiving corps is crucial. I expect BC to force BYU out of stacking the box, if BYU does that they have a good shot to win, if BYU does not accomplish that.....all is actually not lost.

Even with U of A stacking the box the Y could have scored but they will have to play flawless and we all know that BYU does not play that way. There will be penalties or dropped balls that will kill drives if BYU is unable to move more than 5 yards a clip with the passing game.

I am interested to see what BYU will do. Was the decisions against U of A because the receivers down the field were just unable to get open or was it a gameplan? Will the gameplan be any different this week? Is it John Beck? Some questions will be answered.

As for the defense. While they have played well this year, they have not faced a team who can run with the power of BC yet. I think we get a wake up call about why a DL with 4 of the 6 two deep as freshman is not a great idea. I think we keep the Eagles in front, but I doubt the Y stops the run like they have the past two weeks. This is legit good college football and while I like the talent of our guys in the trenches and love their effort and energy, sometimes you just aren't good enough.

If BYU holds the Eagles to less than 150 yards and if the outside 3 receivers of Jacobsen, Collie and Allen can get 9 receptions for more than 100 yards collectively, I like the Y's chances. Turnovers will be huge but neither team is showing a huge trend for those although Beck is due for his 1st INT, especially if the gameplan calls for more downfield attempts.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i think this is spot on. We need the outside recievers to step up and have to show some sort of running game. We all know Curtis' numbers against BCS schools he struggles mightily and has yet to play big against quality opponents. If our receivers can somewhat stretch the field and make some plays that should open up hte running game. Beck needs to take a few more chances if he throws a pick so what, we have been pretty conservative in our play calling thus far, i think the cougs need to open it up against BC.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

This is John Beck's game to make his legacy. I would have said the same about Arizona, but we still had BC to go then. He gets no more chances after this. It's not going to do it plowing through the MWC.

He's not going to have as good a running game to rely on against BC as he had against Tulsa. So, it's going to be on him to take this game from BC.

I'm a huge Beck guy, but if he can't LEAD the team to a win against BC, he's going to be permanently Feterikized.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Goatnapper you will make a fine Utah fan.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
Goatnapper you will make a fine Utah fan.
Funk, I hate to do this but you better expect a knock at your door with two smoking hot ladies wearing trench coats and carrying a portable boom box. Invite them in and enjoy the show.........

You understand that I cannot allow you to take me from this season. Look on the bright side, perhaps you can convert one and then all your dreams will come true.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually more optimistic about stopping the run than I am the pass. Tuitama sucked. The Tulsa QB threw lots of short stuff. I think BC may just remind us that our secondary, while better, is still far from very good.

The reason I'm more confident about stopping the run, or at least minimizing it a bit?

Front 7 speed, especially linebackers, with their athleticism and depth.

But all that aside, the one thing that I really still believe is that BC isn't as good a team as their ranking. Clemson is overrated, always is. And CMU is not a good football team. Both teams moved the ball easily on BC.

I think our senior experience and balanced offense are capable of moving the ball and scoring in this one. The big question marks in my mind? Can we do something about their return guy, can we defend well, can we overcome the home field, and can we avoid making lots of silly mistakes.

I like our chances. Not confident in a win by any stretch, but I really like our chances. I actually feel better about this one than I did going into the Arizona game.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
The big question marks in my mind? Can we do something about their return guy, can we defend well, can we overcome the home field, and can we avoid making lots of silly mistakes.
Yeah, that return guy looked scary fast on the highlight I saw. Are we smart enough to keep it out of his hands?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
I'm a huge Beck guy, but if he can't LEAD the team to a win against BC, he's going to be permanently Feterikized.
I like Beck too, but I'm not sure he's reached Feterik level yet.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote