cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Heard Rudy Giuliani and Colin Powell speak today

On my last day in Oregon on business I was invited to attend some motivational seminar in the Rose Garden. I had floor seats that cost $225.

Anyway, the thing lasted all day and the speakers of note were:

Steve Forbes, Don Shula, Robert Shuller, Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, Rudy G and the General.

Shuller and Ziglar went on these Christian religious kicks that made me feel very uncomfortable. Especially since I was there at the request of Jewish friends. All Shuller talked about was his Crystal Cathedral and I learned from Ziglar that the theory of evolution is racist and sexist and in ten years it will no longer be taught and we will laugh at it. I think it's a safer bet that old Zig won't be around in ten years to defend his statement.

Shula and Forbes were okay and Tom Hopkins and the other sales guys were good.

But Rudy G was excellent. If Rudy gets the nod in the primary I'll vote for him. Rudy had a focused talk about leadership and he was fluid and his ideas were well conceived, pertinent, and expressed clearly. Best of all he didn't pontificate like others and all of his examples were of other great leaders and not what he has done. I may have saw our next president.

Colin Powell was hobbling around. Apparently he tore his achilles. He rode in on a razor scooter which was odd and then sat on a stool. I have never seen this side of Powell. He was very candid and funny. He spoke about foreign policy and his views of each area of the world. I really enjoyed him. He acknowledged a botched "second phase" plan in Iraq. He was positive and upbeat. He spoke highly of several world leaders. He expressed concern over other like Putin. He said he had a conversation with Bush about Putin and Bush told him, "Colin, I looked in his eyes and saw his soul." To which Colin replied, "I looked in his eyes and saw KGB." He expressed concern over N. Korea and the recent nuke tests. He's hopeful that the issue will be resolved with diplomacy.

All in all, I wish I would have gone just for the last 2 hours. The rest was all drivel for the most part and I wasn't buying any of it. But Rudy and Colin were worth it. Well at least my price which was free. I would have been pissed had I paid $225. Ziglar and Shuller were bad. What I couldn't understand was the response and rousing cheers and clapping their Christian rants received, especially in liberal Portland. Most people were sent by their companies to attend and I imagine that some of this will make for awkwardness back at the office.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 10-10-2006 at 06:35 AM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Of those you mentioned, I think I'd only be interested in hearing Rudy Giuliani and General Powell as well.

Is the Crystal Cathedral in Anaheim? Is this the one that looks like something that should be in Disneyland?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Of those you mentioned, I think I'd only be interested in hearing Rudy Giuliani and General Powell as well.

Is the Crystal Cathedral in Anaheim? Is this the one that looks like something that should be in Disneyland?
It's in Garden Grove I think. It's an amazing piece of architecture really.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
It's in Garden Grove I think. It's an amazing piece of architecture really.
I agree that it is impressive architecture. It does stand out - perhaps a bit too much for my taste.

Did you grow up in Orange County? (I don't want to hijack the thread, I'm just curious.)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree that it is impressive architecture. It does stand out - perhaps a bit too much for my taste.

Did you grow up in Orange County? (I don't want to hijack the thread, I'm just curious.)
No. Grew up in Valencia, CA. Santa Clarita Valley, north LA Co.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have said it once and I will say it again: there is no chance Giuliani would ever win the presidency in this country. He has far too many skeletons in the closet. His views on moral issues would be repulsive to many conservative voters.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Giuliani is not charismatic enough. And his brand of Republicanism will not sell in the south.

Maybe he is angling for VP or a cabinet position.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote