cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ironman

www.ironmanlive.com

I know I'm the only guy who cares but it's a wonderful race right now. Plus I have two siblings there.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
www.ironmanlive.com

I know I'm the only guy who cares but it's a wonderful race right now. Plus I have two siblings there.
Any thoughts to doing it yourself?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Archaea

One would have to qualify.

Next year I'm taking off for only Halfs, as I need to increase my cycling speed. And I need some run races where I run well and fast. I've moved to plodding.

To qualify I need to run a 3:45 marathon after a 5:15 bike segment. Right now, my running is letting me down.

I have the 70.3 worlds in Clearwater, but my running injury will prevent a good performance. Having qualified I'm going, but no expectations.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I didn't catch it live online, but reviewed the results. What an incredible bike leg by Stadler. Germany has definitely tightened their grip on the world triathlon leaderboard.

Speaking of which, any idea why the Germans are strong in this event? If you take any of the three individual events separately, you would be hard pressed to find a German in the top 3. But something about the triathlon allows them to excel. Are they better dopers than the rest of us? What gives? Any thoughts?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Archaea

The German success is a mystery.

I know a few people who know the German men, and they train very hard. Germans are also not adverse to cheating. Not certain, why a very intellectual people can rationalize bending the rules so easily, but they can. German society is basically amoral.

Norman Stadler purportedly rode for T-Mobile, and is an average triathlon runner but a great triathlon cyclist, perhaps there ever was.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

The feature where you can watch people finish is very cool. Your brother looked like he was doing well as he crossed the line with his family. what an amazing accoplishment just to finish an ironman, let alone do it in Kona. I am in awe.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Archaea

My brother felt good even though he was an hour off his best time. He had not cycled seriously so he focused upon the run.

He stated they altered the swim course which slowed everybody down. He noted a 51 year old woman passed him on the bike. This irritated him. (She won her age group, but nonetheless losing anything to a fifty-one year old woman is a bit demoralizing). So I'm motivating him to get bike fit this year and to ignore the triathlon until the year thereafter. We'll see. It will take a lot of suffering to get bike fit.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default How about getting beat by a guy with artificial hip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My brother felt good even though he was an hour off his best time. He had not cycled seriously so he focused upon the run.

He stated they altered the swim course which slowed everybody down. He noted a 51 year old woman passed him on the bike. This irritated him. (She won her age group, but nonetheless losing anything to a fifty-one year old woman is a bit demoralizing). So I'm motivating him to get bike fit this year and to ignore the triathlon until the year thereafter. We'll see. It will take a lot of suffering to get bike fit.
FYI, There was a guy in this year's Ironman who raced 10 months after getting a new hip (technically hip resurfacing like Floyd Landis, not total hip). Bib #577 William "Cory" Foulk
13:35 was his time, toward the back of the pack, but ahead of about 300 others

http://tinyurl.com/yc5563
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote