cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just finished Blind Side by Michael Lewis

My thoughts on this book:

80% of this book is about a boy named Michael Oher and about 20% is about left tackles in the NFL.

The writing was not great, but it was suffice.

The story about Michael Oher is unbelievable. Possibly one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read. I started reading this book last night and have already finished it, so it definitely kept me intrigued.

A brief description on it:

Michael Oher is a poor kid growing up in the Memphis projects his mom has 13 kids and is a drug addict, his father is dead and he has ran away from several foster homes. he is basically homeless at 10 and living on the streets. The unique thing about this kid is at 14 he is 6'5 and 350lbs. A kind of mentor that lives in the projects takes him to a private school one day and drops him off hoping he can get it, but this kid has never really been to school, he has no idea what the ocean, a birds nest or the tooth fairy are. Eventually he is adopted by a rich white family (the dad owns 85 taco bells or somethign liek that) They bring him in to their lives and it is the story of how he managed school, opened up and became a membe rof their family. To keep it sports related he is now at Ole Miss and is one of the highest O-line prospects in NFL history.

Good book i definitely reccomend and if you dont want to buy a copy boardmail me and you can borrow mine.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
My thoughts on this book:

80% of this book is about a boy named Michael Oher and about 20% is about left tackles in the NFL.

The writing was not great, but it was suffice.

The story about Michael Oher is unbelievable. Possibly one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read. I started reading this book last night and have already finished it, so it definitely kept me intrigued.

A brief description on it:

Michael Oher is a poor kid growing up in the Memphis projects his mom has 13 kids and is a drug addict, his father is dead and he has ran away from several foster homes. he is basically homeless at 10 and living on the streets. The unique thing about this kid is at 14 he is 6'5 and 350lbs. A kind of mentor that lives in the projects takes him to a private school one day and drops him off hoping he can get it, but this kid has never really been to school, he has no idea what the ocean, a birds nest or the tooth fairy are. Eventually he is adopted by a rich white family (the dad owns 85 taco bells or somethign liek that) They bring him in to their lives and it is the story of how he managed school, opened up and became a membe rof their family. To keep it sports related he is now at Ole Miss and is one of the highest O-line prospects in NFL history.

Good book i definitely reccomend and if you dont want to buy a copy boardmail me and you can borrow mine.
I think Mike posted Oher's story in a link a while back. Amazing story. I liked the bit about him carrying the defensive lineman off the field and out of the stadium and was going to put him on the bus because he was talking too much.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think Mike posted Oher's story in a link a while back. Amazing story. I liked the bit about him carrying the defensive lineman off the field and out of the stadium and was going to put him on the bus because he was talking too much.
One other thing i am not sure if this was in the article Mike posted but the kid qualified by taking online classes at BYU. He took 9 classes and passed each one in like 10 days. His "dad" said: "Mormons are going to hell but they sure are nice"

I thought that was pretty funny. The only down fall to this family raising this kid is his new dads response to everything it seemed was to buy his way out of trouble.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
One other thing i am not sure if this was in the article Mike posted but the kid qualified by taking online classes at BYU. He took 9 classes and passed each one in like 10 days. His "dad" said: "Mormons are going to hell but they sure are nice"

I thought that was pretty funny. The only down fall to this family raising this kid is his new dads response to everything it seemed was to buy his way out of trouble.
Yeah it did mention the BYU correspondence courses. My understanding though is that those are no longer acceptable for student athletes to qualify.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote