cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Divine Intervention and Personal Revelation

Pardon my spiritual naivete, but I come to the mountaintop of CG seeking wisdom. Divine intervention is perplexing - how does one rationalize the apparent selectivity in terms of frequency and conditions? Case in point - the touching story of Derek Fisher's daughter whose remarkable diagnosis was, according to Derek, the result of divine intervention. The contrasts are obvious - mothers and children killed by drunk drivers, children plagued with disease, apparently random suffering, etc.

My questions:

1. Why the apparent selectivity in terms of who is blessed and who is not? Is it random, part of a predetermined plan or based on worthiness? Were the Deists correct to believe that God simply "wound the clock" and tragedies and suffering are inevitable?

2. Is there validity to the thought that God speaks but we don't listen?

3. Under what conditions are we considered worthy to receive personal revelation - either on behalf of families or ourselves?

Last edited by Requiem; 05-11-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Pardon my spiritual naivete, but I come to the mountaintop of CG seeking wisdom. Divine intervention is perplexing - how does one rationalize the apparent selectivity in terms of frequency and conditions? Case in point - the touching story of Derek Fisher's daughter whose remarkable diagnosis was, according to Derek, the result of divine intervention. The contrasts are obvious - mothers and children killed by drunk drivers, children plagued with disease, apparently random suffering, etc.

My questions:

1. Why the apparent selectivity in terms of who is blessed and who is not? Is it random, part of a predetermined plan or based on worthiness? Were the Deists correct to believe that God simply "wound the clock" and tragedies and suffering are inevitable?

2. Is there validity to the thought that God speaks but we don't listen?

3. Under what conditions are we considered worthy to receive personal revelation - either on behalf of families or ourselves?
I'm convinced you're Archaea.

Or a relative offshoot of him anyway.