cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you guys know that Bruce Metzger died this year?

http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

That's sad, given the scholarship he has contributed to biblical studies.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

That's sad, given the scholarship he has contributed to biblical studies.
ya, I remember seeing the obit back in February. Here is the obit for those unfamiliar with his work:

Quote:
PRINCETON, New Jersey: Bruce Manning Metzger, professor emeritus at Princeton Theological Seminary and an authority on Greek manuscripts of the Bible, has died. He was 93.

Metzger died Tuesday of natural causes, according to The Mather-Hodge Funeral Home in Princeton.

At the time of his death, he was the George L. Collord Professor Emeritus of New Testament Language and Literature at Princeton Theological Seminary.

Metzger earned a bachelor’s degree from Lebanon Valley College in 1935, a bachelor of theology degree from Princeton Seminary in 1938 and a doctorate in classics from Princeton University in 1942. He became an ordained minister with the Presbyterian Church in 1939.

Metzger began his teaching career at Princeton Theological Seminary in 1938, where he stayed in the New Testament department for 46 years. During his time at the seminary, Metzger developed 25 courses on the English and Greek texts of books in the New Testament.

He was also involved with committees in the production of three new editions of the Scriptures: the United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament (1966), the Reader’s Digest condensed Bible (1982) and the New Revised Standard Version (1990).

In 1986, Metzger was elected to the American Philosophical Society in the class devoted to the Humanities. In 1994, he was awarded the F.C. Burkitt Medal by the British Academy for his contributions to biblical studies.

Last edited by pelagius; 05-29-2007 at 01:54 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
ya, I remember seeing the obit back in February. Here is the obit for those unfamiliar with his work:
what was his attitude toward The Church? I know that Princeton Theological Seminary (which is independent from Princeton Univ) flat out doesn't accept Mormons. My prof Roger Keller, an alum, tried to get one of his students in and failed.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default Keller sounds like a bright guy in his own right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
what was his attitude toward The Church? I know that Princeton Theological Seminary (which is independent from Princeton Univ) flat out doesn't accept Mormons. My prof Roger Keller, an alum, tried to get one of his students in and failed.
I read a book on my mission that he wrote when he left the church called something like, "Reformed Christians, Mormon Christians let's talk"

I was impressed with how fair and ecumenical he was for being a former Mormon
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
I read a book on my mission that he wrote when he left the church called something like, "Reformed Christians, Mormon Christians let's talk"

I was impressed with how fair and ecumenical he was for being a former Mormon
you're talking about Keller, not Metzger, right? Keller rejoined The Church.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote