cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know what Haddow is trying to

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2790563

say here. Is he trying to say U students and fans hate BYU because BYU is better academically?

BYU is tougher to get into, so what? UVSC has a better nursing program than BYU, so what.

I honestly don't know anyone that is a Utah fan that gives much of a rats butt whether BYU is better academically, unless it is to get into an argument.

BYU fans going off about how hard it is to get into the school would just prove my point about their lacking the length necessary to get a good oil change and are trying to make up for it by bragging about their grades.

I mean, I would make that comeback if I were a Ute fan.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

And some may believe that for a few athletes, BYU is harder to get kicked out of too.

I look at Utah and BYU as pretty much the same thing when it comes to academics. It's not like either one is an Ivy League school.

BYU only has tougher admission standards because it is a private school and can be more selective.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I don't know much about Utah, other than it has a Med school and is more science-driven. And emphasizes research.

I don't think it compares to UT or A&M, and those are my yardsticks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

In my view...college is college and it doesn't matter where you go.

In certain social circles of the LDS church, being a BYU alum is a neat little common experience that some can share and discuss with one another. But really, that circle is no different than the returned missionary circle. It matters not what you did there...more that you were there, and that makes you part of the group.

Haddow has always struggled to make a point about BYU without mentioning Utah...and vice versa.

If you want the prestige of a school name, go Ivy League. If not, go to whatever school you want...BYU, Utah, Weber, SUU, SVU, Hard Knocks...and get your degree and do what everyone else has to do...prove yourself in the working world.

That's my take at least.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
In my view...college is college and it doesn't matter where you go.

In certain social circles of the LDS church, being a BYU alum is a neat little common experience that some can share and discuss with one another. But really, that circle is no different than the returned missionary circle. It matters not what you did there...more that you were there, and that makes you part of the group.

Haddow has always struggled to make a point about BYU without mentioning Utah...and vice versa.

If you want the prestige of a school name, go Ivy League. If not, go to whatever school you want...BYU, Utah, Weber, SUU, SVU, Hard Knocks...and get your degree and do what everyone else has to do...prove yourself in the working world.

That's my take at least.
I completely agree with this, i know a lot of people have pride in their school and that is fine, but people with degrees from Po'dunk city college have been just as succesful in life as people with degrees from BYU or Utah. I think one of the reasons people do have pride from getting their degrees from universitys like BYU and Utah is because you have to work hard from a very young age to get accepted, and then continue that hard work to graduate. Where at schools like UVSC it is pretty much open enrollment.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2790563

say here. Is he trying to say U students and fans hate BYU because BYU is better academically?

BYU is tougher to get into, so what? UVSC has a better nursing program than BYU, so what.

I honestly don't know anyone that is a Utah fan that gives much of a rats butt whether BYU is better academically, unless it is to get into an argument.

BYU fans going off about how hard it is to get into the school would just prove my point about their lacking the length necessary to get a good oil change and are trying to make up for it by bragging about their grades.

I mean, I would make that comeback if I were a Ute fan.
the y is tougher to get into because they receive a lot of applications.

I think Mike's response (to which no one responded) is very important.
I've perused quite a few CVs of faculty in various departments out of curiosity. The credentials all pretty much look the same. Mostly 2 of 3 degrees from byu and sometimes all 3. Very unusual.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I completely agree with this, i know a lot of people have pride in their school and that is fine, but people with degrees from Po'dunk city college have been just as succesful in life as people with degrees from BYU or Utah.
The thing I get surprised by in my profession all the time is not the great lawyers I run into that didn't go to a great law school. That doesn't surprise me, really. I am constantly amazed by two things: (1) the guys (and gals) who went to an absolutely top notch school who are piss poor and (2) the guys (and gals) who work at a top notch firm and are piss poor.

That is not to say these people are the rule, but there are a lot more than I would have thought.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The thing I get surprised by in my profession all the time is not the great lawyers I run into that didn't go to a great law school. That doesn't surprise me, really. I am constantly amazed by two things: (1) the guys (and gals) who went to an absolutely top notch school who are piss poor and (2) the guys (and gals) who work at a top notch firm and are piss poor.

That is not to say these people are the rule, but there are a lot more than I would have thought.
Here is what might surprise some people. As many or more self made millionaires are non-college grads as college grads. That was true in the late 80's and my guess is it is still true.

I played golf with two multi-millionaires yesterday. One an graduate from the U who doesn't use his degree and the other who went to Weber for one quarter.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote