cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #91
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Seems like it was a necessary measure, given the ban. I am curious how you would have handled it. How else would one determine "black and of African descent"? (Non-African blacks were deemed kosher). You think you could just "eyeball" that?

It's not an "allegation" btw, it is a well-documented historical fact.
Maybe I'm not being clear enough. I'm not sure if what they did in South Africa was proper or not, but you used it in the apparent attempt to show how wrong the ban and all that attended it was.

My point is the larger issue that God had or does have policies that would appear to be racist or sexist or any other -ist to some people. What was done in South Africa is completely irrelevant in that regard.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #92
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Seems like it was a necessary measure, given the ban. I am curious how you would have handled it. How else would one determine "black and of African descent"? (Non-African blacks were deemed kosher). You think you could just "eyeball" that?

It's not an "allegation" btw, it is a well-documented historical fact.
In fact, it was decided that Fijians, who certainly appear to be black, were okay to receive the priesthood, because they were determined to not be the same as "African blacks". The same decision was made with regard to Australian aborigines.

These decisions were made by President McKay, and were part of his attempt to gradually loosen the grip of the no blacks priesthood policy.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #93
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
In fact, it was decided that Fijians, who certainly appear to be black, were okay to receive the priesthood, because they were determined to not be the same as "African blacks". The same decision was made with regard to Australian aborigines.

These decisions were made by President McKay, and were part of his attempt to gradually loosen the grip of the no blacks priesthood policy.
All the more reason it's good the blasted thing is gone. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be at the head of the church and have to nightmarishly administrate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug
For the most part I have actually been impressed at Tex's restraint over here. Even a toned down Tex is overboard, but his CG version is much more tolerable than his CB version.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about you. Perhaps no one is equivalent to the caricature painted of them?

Last edited by Tex; 05-11-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added response to Cali Coug.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #94
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about you. Perhaps no one is equivalent to the caricature painted of them?
Would you believe Goatnapper's less crass over here?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #95
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
The obsession with Cougarboard by the members here is humorous.

Reminds me of how utefans can't shut up about BYU.

Or so I am told.
Care to answer the question?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #96
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Care to answer the question?
My answer is that numerically, there are more insulting posts on CB since its membership is significantly larger than CG's.

But the level of insults throw around here are definitely more below the belt and mean-spirited.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 AM   #97
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Maybe I'm not being clear enough. I'm not sure if what they did in South Africa was proper or not, but you used it in the apparent attempt to show how wrong the ban and all that attended it was.

My point is the larger issue that God had or does have policies that would appear to be racist or sexist or any other -ist to some people. What was done in South Africa is completely irrelevant in that regard.
How can you not be sure it was improper? Exactly what WOULD you deem improper if not that?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #98
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How can you not be sure it was improper? Exactly what WOULD you deem improper if not that?
Well, in the absence of actually reading any documentation of what was actually done, I'd like to reserve rendering any concrete opinion on the matter.

As I've found out repeatedly on this site, what someone provides as "proof" often isn't exactly as clear-cut as they seem to think it is.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #99
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
My answer is that numerically, there are more insulting posts on CB since its membership is significantly larger than CG's.

But the level of insults throw around here are definitely more below the belt and mean-spirited.
That's like Satan walking into a CEO meeting in heaven and complaining about how the board meetings are so tense and how people stare at him with frowns.

You are Satan

We are heaven.

Get thee hence to cougarboard.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 AM   #100
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

<<deleted>>

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-11-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote