cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #91
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
there is a big difference between having guns sold new and the person's inforation being taken, versus every citizen being required to account for every gun they own, no matter how they came to own it.

If I sell you a gun, there is not govt. body that you have to report to.

That's why the liberals are going after private sales at gun shows. After they get that, they will go after private party transactions. I.e. you giving your heirloom rifle to your son.
To me this sounds like a waste of resources and an unecessary tax burden, but I don't see how it really limits your rights as a potential gun owner. Yeah you have to jump through some more meaningless hoops for which I am sure I will have to pay taxes to support, but other than that, I don't see the big deal.

Last edited by Flystripper; 06-27-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #92
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
To me this sounds like a waste of resources and an unecessary tax burden, but I don't see how it really limits your rights as a potential gun owner. Yeah you have to jum through some more meaningless hoops for which I am sure I will have to pay taxes to support, but other than that, I don't see the big deal.
Just curious, Flystripper - are you a gun owner?

I am and I think it would be a big deal to have to jump through all the hoops to exercise a constitutional right.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #93
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
To me this sounds like a waste of resources and an unecessary tax burden, but I don't see how it really limits your rights as a potential gun owner. Yeah you have to jump through some more meaningless hoops for which I am sure I will have to pay taxes to support, but other than that, I don't see the big deal.
Because regimes that have banned and taken away all guns always first started with registration.

It's a huge deal to gun owners.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #94
Flystripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Just curious, Flystripper - are you a gun owner?

I am and I think it would be a big deal to have to jump through all the hoops to exercise a constitutional right.
I own a 12 gauge, a .22, a bb gun and a pellet gun. I don't own a high powered rifle or handgun. I am most afraid of that stinking bb gun. I have memories of my friends and I shooting each other with bb guns in HS and it still stings.

Yes we were stupid.

I see it as a pain in the ass but I don't see it limiting my rights all that much.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #95
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I own a 12 gauge, a .22 a bb gun and a pellet gun. I don't own a high powered rifle or handgun. I am most afraid of that stinking bb gun. I have memories of my friends and I shooting each other with bb guns in HS and it still stings.

Yes we were stupid.

I see it as a pain in the ass but I don't see it limiting my rights all that much.
I own a high powered rifle and a handgun and I see it as a big problem.

You don't own a high powered rifle or a handgun and don't see it as a big problem.

It's all about perspective, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #96
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I own a 12 gauge, a .22 a bb gun and a pellet gun. I don't own a high powered rifle or handgun. I am most afraid of that stinking bb gun. I have memories of my friends and I shooting each other with bb guns in HS and it still stings.

Yes we were stupid.

Those that fiercely believe in gun rights believe that the founders intended it as a protection against dictators. While most of us don't believe that our govt. will fall and metamorphose into a dictatorship during our lifetimes, we do believe it is a possibility. This govt's power rests with the people, and when the people are disarmed, the people are powerless. Dictators will always seek to disarm the people. Gun owners who believe in the 2nd amendment are seeking to ensure liberty for generations to come, and that is why we fight so hard and are so motivated.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #97
Flystripper

Quote:
Those that fiercely believe in gun rights believe that the founders intended it as a protection against dictators. While most of us don't believe that our govt. will fall and metamorphose into a dictatorship during our lifetimes, we do believe it is a possibility. This govt's power rests with the people, and when the people are disarmed, the people are powerless. Dictators will always seek to disarm the people. Gun owners who believe in the 2nd amendment are seeking to ensure liberty for generations to come, and that is why we fight so hard and are so motivated.
You have a passion I don't share and don't really understand, but I am not in favor of taking away your guns. I just don't get worked up over the issue one way or the other.

To be honest, reading your fears on the issue makes you come off a bit wacko to me, but we need you passionate guys fighting this fight in order to bring balance the from wacko gun control nuts on the far left. I see value in your position. However, I would be more wary of your beliefs if they were not opposed by the radicle left.

The checks and balances in this 2nd ammendment tug of war are important to me. I don't want guns taken away from Americans but I really don't want them available in vending machines with your choice of ammo either.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #98
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
You have a passion I don't share and don't really understand, but I am not in favor of taking away your guns. I just don't get worked up over the issue one way or the other.

To be honest, reading your fears on the issue makes you come off a bit wacko to me, but we need you passionate guys fighting this fight in order to bring balance the from wacko gun control nuts on the far left. I see value in your position. However, I would be more wary of your beliefs if they were not opposed by the radicle left.

The checks and balances in this 2nd ammendment tug of war are important to me. I don't want guns taken awayfrom Americans and I don't want them available in vending machines with your choice of ammo.
American has been moving to more and more "relaxed" gun control over at least the past decade. The concealed carry movement has really been a revolution. Yes, it is regulated. But it is an admission and endorsement of the power of the citizenry to rule their own lives and help bring order.

The assault ban expired, for example not that long ago.

If Obama is elected along with a new cadre of dems in congress, you will see a big run on guns likely to be banned or limited.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #99
Flystripper

Quote:
American has been moving to more and more "relaxed" gun control over at least the past decade. The concealed carry movement has really been a revolution. Yes, it is regulated. But it is an admission and endorsement of the power of the citizenry to rule their own lives and help bring order.

The assault ban expired, for example not that long ago.

If Obama is elected along with a new cadre of dems in congress, you will see a big run on guns likely to be banned or limited.
maybe, maybe not...I am not sure this is a big priority for Obama. I think he will have more more pressing things on his plate. I could be wrong though. There are ebbs and flows to this gun control tug of war. I am sure at some point there will be a shift back toward more gun control, which will then spur a shift back toward less gun control. I will continue to stand in the middle and watch it go back and forth never quite achieving what either side desires and grateful that both sides are pulling.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #100
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
maybe, maybe not...I am not sure this is a big priority for Obama. I think he will have more more pressing things on his plate. I could be wrong. There are ebbs and flows to this gun control tug of war. I am sure at some point there will be a shift back toward more gun control, which will then spur a shift back toward less gun control. I will continue to stand in the middle and watch it go back and forth back what either side desires and gratefull that both side are pulling.
The GOP revolution in 1994 was partly (or mostly, according to some) attributable to the Dems efforts in gun control. That's why they've been quiet about it for some time. But eventually they will forget this lesson and try again.