cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #91
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Barbara's evolving relationship with Obama should make dems worry. She's gone from guarded admiration/growing infatuation, to, "Hey wait a minute!" Barbara is an important type that dems need to capture.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #92
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
what do you mean by "secular messianism"?
Essentially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I agree with him. Huckabee occasionally made references to this notion that God had ordained him to be president and turn this country around. Obama is increasingly sounding rather Huckabee-like in expressing this idea that it is his destiny to come and redirect (save?) the nation, only he expresses in less religious terms.
Beyond Obama's own view of himself as a pseudo-messiah (what politician doesn't, right?), what disturbs me more is how others are reacting to him. It's irrational. A certain amount of politics is irrational, but this is over the top.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #93
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Beyond Obama's own view of himself as a pseudo-messiah (what politician doesn't, right?), what disturbs me more is how others are reacting to him. It's irrational.
Yeah, but it's neither more nor less irrational than the utter vitriol directed at Hillary, voiced here and at every other red-leaning board in the country.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #94
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Barbara's evolving relationship with Obama should make dems worry. She's gone from guarded admiration/growing infatuation, to, "Hey wait a minute!" Barbara is an important type that dems need to capture.
Uh...the thinking type?

It's true: Obama's strength thus far has been with better-educated, fairly affluent Dems and swing voters. Problem is, these are the ones most likely to listen past the rhetoric.

His has been, to a large extent, a cult of personality. So far, not many weaknesses have been exposed, but there's some creepy shit back there if you look. Real implications regarding his character.

I honestly don't know what to think. I'm terribly disappointed in McCain. He's morphing into something I don't think I like.

I wonder if in the end, we're back to square one, and the general election vote will simply come down to the war. Mr Patriot defend the US to the gates of hell vs Mr Cut our losses, save American lives, and get out now.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #95
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yeah, she's Republican Dems are dying to win over.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #96
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Uh...the thinking type?

It's true: Obama's strength thus far has been with better-educated, fairly affluent Dems and swing voters. Problem is, these are the ones most likely to listen past the rhetoric.

His has been, to a large extent, a cult of personality. So far, not many weaknesses have been exposed, but there's some creepy shit back there if you look. Real implications regarding his character.

I honestly don't know what to think. I'm terribly disappointed in McCain. He's morphing into something I don't think I like.

I wonder if in the end, we're back to square one, and the general election vote will simply come down to the war. Mr Patriot defend the US to the gates of hell vs Mr Cut our losses, save American lives, and get out now.

People are a funny bunch. A man comes along who is a great communicator, and suddenly that is a fault. "He makes us feel good! Run for your lives!" Apparently, they prefer the alternative of uninspiring and stupid (the last 8 years have conditioned us, I guess).

A man comes along who has laid out in-depth proposals on every topic imagineable (and all of which are easily available on the web), and the response is "He has no ideas! How can he? Rhetorical ability and ideas are mutually exclusive!"

A man comes along with as much or more political experience than some of our greatest presidents and who is black, and people say "He is only here because he is black! How dare he compete for the presidency?"

A man comes along who excites emotion in others to a degree unfamiliar in recent American political experience, and people say "He must think of himself as the secular messiah (whatever that means)!" This despite the fact that he has said nothing of the sort.

Obama isn't perfect. That much is clear. He won't be a perfect leader. Obvious. He has had dealings in the past with unsavory characters. Show me a politician who hasn't. But his ability to inspire and motivate is hardly a reason he should be mocked or criticized, and his intelligence is unquestionable. He is running his campaign based on donations from individuals rather than PACs, and that scares the lobbyists and the Washington insiders. They haven't had a president as free from political favors as Obama in decades.

McCain and the GOP know they are outmatched, as does Clinton. Which is precisely why they are grasping at straws in their criticisms right now.

They had all better come with something better than "But look how inspiring he is! That's awful!" Or they are going to get steamrolled.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 02-20-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #97
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
They had all better come with something better than "But look how inspiring he is! That's awful!" Or they are going to get steamrolled.
*Tex makes his deadpan face.* Yes, Cali. We oppose Obama because he's too inspiring. Good call.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #98
Cali Coug

Quote:
*Tex makes his deadpan face.* Yes, Cali. We oppose Obama because he's too inspiring. Good call.
I know why you oppose him. You would oppose Reagan if he had a (D) by his name but was otherwise identical.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #99
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I know why you oppose him. You would oppose Reagan if he had a (D) by his name but was otherwise identical.
Your attempt to marginalize my comments by boiling everything down to a binary R or D is not only incorrect, but quite shallow. As strongly as some people disagree with my opinions on this board (on all ranges of topics), most, I think, grant that I am a relatively intelligent person who thinks for himself.

It's unfortunate you're putting yourself in the rabidly intolerant and irrational minority.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #100
Cali Coug

Quote:
Your attempt to marginalize my comments by boiling everything down to a binary R or D is not only incorrect, but quite shallow. As strongly as some people disagree with my opinions on this board (on all ranges of topics), most, I think, grant that I am a relatively intelligent person who thinks for himself.

It's unfortunate you're putting yourself in the rabidly intolerant and irrational minority.
Tex, you have as much as stated that you will support the Republican party, no matter the cost, and yes- I do view your posts as quite shallow.

I think you are an intelligent guy. I don't think that most would agree that your posts reflect a person who "thinks for themselves." Feel free to put it to a vote if you disagree.

Your case isn't helped by the fact that you frequently post a link to a conservative article and say, "look! They echo my comments" or "They agree with me!" When in reality, it almost always appears like you are echoing their comments and those of the conservative spin masters.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 02-20-2008 at 11:21 PM.