cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #91
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't think this system works. I think it promotes lying and false fronts. I think it prevents people who need help from getting help. Secrecy is antithetical to Zion.

The secrecy system works if what you are looking for is the "all is well in Zion" appearance, the Julie Beck facade of combed hair and pressed pleats. But the underside is the pressure to live up to the false standards thus put forth, resulting in our Prozac Pollyanna crisis.

Sure, the secrecy probably gives many the cover to confess their sins to the Bishop. As if they had a jar of the salve of the Savior in the top drawer to spread on their sores.

We gain greater amounts of secret confession. We lose Zion, the ability to mourn with those that mourn and the blessing of comforting those who stand in need of comfort. Do we really value the former greater than the latter?

I am not convinced the system works effectively towards the goals of the Church at all.
You would probably be interested in my two tier system for members. The orthodox and non-orthodox members. One group wouldn't be better than the other, they would just believe differently. No one would have to fake the "all is well in zion", because someone who everyone knew drank beer, gambled and wore blue shirts was also someone who was well.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #92
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think this system works. I think it promotes lying and false fronts. I think it prevents people who need help from getting help. Secrecy is antithetical to Zion.

The secrecy system works if what you are looking for is the "all is well in Zion" appearance, the Julie Beck facade of combed hair and pressed pleats. But the underside is the pressure to live up to the false standards thus put forth, resulting in our Prozac Pollyanna crisis.

Sure, the secrecy probably gives many the cover to confess their sins to the Bishop. As if they had a jar of the salve of the Savior in the top drawer to spread on their sores.

We gain greater amounts of secret confession. We lose Zion, the ability to mourn with those that mourn and the blessing of comforting those who stand in need of comfort. Do we really value the former greater than the latter?

I am not convinced the system works effectively towards the goals of the Church at all.
I hear what you are saying but what is the solution? Would people still share their secrets if they weren't confident they couldn't be revealed to others?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #93
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You would probably be interested in my two tier system for members. The orthodox and non-orthodox members. One group wouldn't be better than the other, they would just believe differently. No one would have to fake the "all is well in zion", because someone who everyone knew drank beer, gambled and wore blue shirts was also someone who was well.
Can't really see how a tiered system would not have a "better than the other" look and feel.

Also, do you have two Bishops or one? Orthodox or not? Imagine a non-orthodox Bishop...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #94
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I hear what you are saying but what is the solution? Would people still share their secrets if they weren't confident they couldn't be revealed to others?

Solution is acknowledgement of acceptability of orthodox and non-orthodox members. Therefor if you drank wine with dinner, you wouldn't have to keep it a secret.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #95
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
Can't really see how a tiered system would not have a "better than the other" look and feel.

Also, do you have two Bishops or one? Orthodox or not? Imagine a non-orthodox Bishop...
I think all the leadership has to be Orthodox. They just don't try to make the non-orthodox become orthodox. I can see the trouble though. Adults can handle it, however I doubt orthodox parents want their children associating with the non-orthodox or hearing that non-orthodox is an OK way to be.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #96
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Solution is acknowledgement of acceptability of orthodox and non-orthodox members. Therefor if you drank wine with dinner, you wouldn't have to keep it a secret.
Wouldn't that in essence lead the "church" down a Catholic road?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #97
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus View Post
Sorry, wrong Meldrum: (http://www.bookofmormonevidence.org). Rod gave our presentation. Don't know if they are related.
I don't find this funny in the same manner SU does, but I did chuckle that he lists his "district leader responsibilities" from his mission on his CV. lol.

http://www.bookofmormonevidence.org/page.php?page=rod
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #98
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Wouldn't that in essence lead the "church" down a Catholic road?
Granted it could be a slippery slope. I don't want people who commit adultery or are actively gay feeling like they can come to church and associate with members without feeling a lot of guilt. I wouldn't want people to feel they could come in Levi's or no tie without feeling out of place. I wouldn't want men to show up with ear rings and feel like they belong.

Yea, there could eventually be some problems down the road.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #99
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This guy needs a serious beating. He actually lists on his CV that he was a district leader on his mission.
In my mission this was a good indication that you had a pulse/could fog a mirror.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #100
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This guy needs a serious beating. He actually lists on his CV that he was a district leader on his mission.
How about this line:

He has helped many thousands of people prepare physically for the second coming of the Savior, through food storage.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote