cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #101
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It has been discussed ad naseum in other threads. Obama had yet another nice statement today. And the point of bringing up Hagee is to give the issue context (as with bringing up Mormon leaders' statements in the past). Everyone wants to jump all over Obama, but only if it means they can ignore their own candidate's or religion's statements.
To the issue of "context":

Quote:
The requests, demands and suggestions started coming in after my first column on the relationship between the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. and Barack Obama. They multiplied after the cool, collected candidate broke with his red-hot crackpot pastor, and I asked what took so long. Why did it take 20 years for him to denounce Wright's hate-filled, anti-American ravings?

"I'd really like to read your take on the relationship between John McCain and Rev. John Hagee," read one of the more civil ones. This one is from the snarky variety: "So here's your big chance! I look forward to your next column, which will naturally" analyze "McCain's own embarrassingly hate-filled pastor." Happy to oblige.

Let's start with an indisputable fact. Hagee is not McCain's pastor and never has been. Nor has the pastor of San Antonio's Cornerstone Church been McCain's mentor or spiritual adviser. Not for 20 years. Not for two seconds. Hagee's Texas address should be the giveaway here. It's tough to have a pastor-mentor-spiritual adviser who lives in Texas when you live in Washington, D.C., or Arizona. Except in the imaginings of folks who need McCain to have his very own Reverend Wright.

Beyond all this, McCain didn't have his children baptized by Hagee. Or donate thousands of dollars to Hagee's church. Or name Hagee to a prominent position in his campaign. In sum, McCain did none of the things that would make for an apples-to-apples comparison to the Obama-Wright connection.

Is there any kind of McCain-Hagee "relationship"? Well, the Texas evangelical did endorse McCain, and McCain did seek his endorsement. Is this a "relationship"? If so, does it say anything about McCain?

The answer to both questions: No.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...750.xml&coll=7

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #102
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
David Reinhard of The Oregonian has spoken. The debate must now be over.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #103
Tex

Quote:
Translation: "I have no rebuttal to Reinhard's excellent points."

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #104
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, you are the one here who wanted to make it about McCain/Hagee and blow off the relevance of Obama/Wright, so Tex gave something substantial, you don't like it and are again trying to make it about McCain/Hagee.

I'll make you a deal Cali. I won't bring up Obama/Wright again if you are willing to admit that Wright's influence on Obama's thinking over the last 20 years is relevant.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #105
Tex

Obama says you give loyalty to a church, not a pastor. So what's been going on at Trinity Church lately?

Quote:
The Reverend Jeremiah Wright may have stepped down as pastor, but the Trinity United Church of Christ may continue to haunt Barack Obama.

Newsmax reports the new Senior Pastor, Otis Moss, has called biblical patriarch Abraham a pimp, said Noah and Moses were thugs and said Jesus had a "soft spot for thugs." Moss has also praised late rapper Tupac Shakur as a prophet despite his profanity-laced lyrics that glorify violence and a criminal record including assault and sexual abuse.

Cybercast News reports another pastor as the church, reverend Reginald Williams, has written in the church bulletin that the Pentagon trains Latin Americans to become terrorists and the major TV networks are run by right wing racists who see blacks as subhuman.

The Obama campaign has not yet responded to our request for a comment.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355238,00.html

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #106
Cali Coug

Quote:
Translation: "I have no rebuttal to Reinhard's excellent points."
What excellent points? He blabbers on for about 3 paragraphs before getting to the only questions he was purporting to answer, then resolves them with one word: no. Great journalism there.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #107
Cali Coug

Quote:
Obama says you give loyalty to a church, not a pastor. So what's been going on at Trinity Church lately?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355238,00.html
You tell me. What have your church leaders said? And yet here you are.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #108
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, you are the one here who wanted to make it about McCain/Hagee and blow off the relevance of Obama/Wright, so Tex gave something substantial, you don't like it and are again trying to make it about McCain/Hagee.

I'll make you a deal Cali. I won't bring up Obama/Wright again if you are willing to admit that Wright's influence on Obama's thinking over the last 20 years is relevant.
What makes it relevant? See if you can actually think it through.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #109
Cali Coug

Quote:
What's up with this thread? It won't let me browse past page 11 (it says there are 13 pages).
Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #110
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What makes it relevant? Are you insane?

It's relevant because Obama sat and listened to this man for 20 years and never said a contrary word about Wright's message until he realized that it hurt his campaign.

That's what makes it relevant. If you can't see that, you're either so blinded by the Obama bullshit or are not very bright.

FWIW, I think you're very bright. So that leaves me with just one choice for an answer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote