cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #101
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Your are woefully misinformed, and your comments are hurtful. General Authorities are given an allowance that pays for housing, car and travel expenses and absolutely nothing more. Any other expenses come directly out of their own or their families pocket, not church funds.

Please stop spreading lies.

Furthermore numerous reputable publications have endeavored to expose the church on such issues and have ONLY EVER reported what I stated above. Any money General Authorties earn while serving are derived from investments or pensions they earned durring their respective careers.
Some of this is true, but the allowance, though modest in comparison to what persons of such experience and training in other organizations would be paid, is higher than you are stating. President Hinckley's allowance is not significant when compared with corporate world, but is more than a pittance. Given the financial success of the Church, it doesn't bother me. As I understand it, the Twelve all drive the same ugly Buicks so that nobody accuses them of wealth. (I wouldn't drive a Buick no matter what).
Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #102
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
But it looks like his presence on that many boards existed PRIOR to his call to the Twelve, which is different than someone somehow leveraging their calling to get a place on 26 different corporate boards so they could better pursue filthy lucre.
Would you have a problem with numerous appointments to corporate boards after a call to the 12?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #103
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some of this is true, but the allowance, though modest in comparison to what persons of such experience and training in other organizations would be paid, is higher than you are stating. President Hinckley's allowance is not significant when compared with corporate world, but is more than a pittance. Given the financial success of the Church, it doesn't bother me. As I understand it, the Twelve all drive the same ugly Buicks so that nobody accuses them of wealth. (I wouldn't drive a Buick no matter what).
ALL of what I stated is true. I haven't stated a maximum or minimum. The allowance is based eclusively upon the assignment and isn't constant -it changes as the requirements or the assignment changes.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #104
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Sure sounds like you have an axe to grind. Why should your criticism be taken as legitimate when you resort to name-calling and insults?
I normally hold my tongue, but Indy fired the first salvo. I don't have an axe to grind with the Church. Religion serves a purpose in our society -- it gives people hope in a frightening world. That that hope is baseless is irrelevant to me. If people can find a measure of comfort in their beliefs, then they are certainly entitled to do so. I just find it tiresome when people assume I have some sort of agenda just because I refuse to validate their fantasies.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #105
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Would you have a problem with numerous appointments to corporate boards after a call to the 12?
Not necessarily. To me, their mere existence, in and itself, doesn't constitute a problem.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #106
Archaea

Quote:
Any money they receive from the outside is a stipend wth Church doesn't have to pay. Doesn't bother me.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #107
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Your are woefully misinformed, and your comments are hurtful. General Authorities are given an allowance that pays for housing, car and travel expenses and absolutely nothing more. Any other expenses come directly out of their own or their families pocket, not church funds.

Please stop spreading lies.

Furthermore numerous reputable publications have endeavored to expose the church on such issues and have ONLY EVER reported what I stated above. Any money General Authorties earn while serving are derived from investments or pensions they earned durring their respective careers.
I don't understand why my comments are hurtful. I stated that it would be impossible to confirm due to the fact the books are closed. It's hard to say if the estimates are truth or lies if the books are closed.

My Mission President's wife told me what he was to be paid. I have no reason to doubt her. She did like to brag, but I think she was honest. This was in the early 90's.

Last edited by BlueHair; 02-12-2007 at 04:54 PM.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #108
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most apostles own vacation homes.

The crowd that I run in doesn't own vacation homes.

So I don't think they are hurting one bit.

Each must make his own ethical choices. My ethics say that I would prefer not to be on corporate boards. And if I were on a board, because it in someway benefitted the church, then I would donate that to a worthy cause (missionary fund, Perpetual Immigrant fund, whatever).

Of course this will all change if I actually am called as an apostle, in which case I will accept all invitations and keep all money, imperfect man that I am.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #109
Archaea

Quote:
I think most apostles own vacation homes.

The crowd that I run in doesn't own vacation homes.

So I don't think they are hurting one bit.

Each must make his own ethical choices. My ethics say that I would prefer not to be on corporate boards. And if I were on a board, because it in someway benefitted the church, then I would donate that to a worthy cause (missionary fund, Perpetual Immigrant fund, whatever).

Of course this will all change if I actually am called as an apostle, in which case I will accept all invitations and keep all money, imperfect man that I am.
The day a member of this board becomes an Apostle, I will be on the in crowd for certain. You can keep your wealth and we will the 'in" crowd. May we make suggestions for changes?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #110
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean the Twelve have a Suggestion Box?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote