cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #101
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Maybe if I had a son who was struggling in adolescence with confused sexual inclinations it would be even more important for me. A society that accepts gay marriage condones gay sex, and the social support for what we are to teach our children is broken down.
Change your scenario to an adult son.

Good luck with that.

I wonder if some parents of LDS gay children, are secretly happy when they commit suicide. It's not something they would are utter or fully consider even in their own minds.

"Ah yes, there is justice, and a Lord who will not be mocked."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #102
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wonder if some parents of LDS gay children, are secretly happy when they commit suicide. It's not something they would are utter or fully consider even in their own minds.
You mean in the same sense that family members are relieved when a chronically, terminally ill relative passes away and moves on to a better place where they don't have to suffer any longer?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #103
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
To the contrary, I am the one giving you full credit. I don't think you are trolling. I take you at your word.
It's at moments like these that I actually hope he's trolling:

Quote:
I wonder if some parents of LDS gay children, are secretly happy when they commit suicide.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #104
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe if I had a son who was struggling in adolescence with confused sexual inclinations it would be even more important for me. A society that accepts gay marriage condones gay sex, and the social support for what we are to teach our children is broken down.
I've seen the hardest of hardliners soften when their son came out of the closet. It is easy to say in theory what you would do if your son were gay, but somehow I doubt you would react in the way that you imagine if you actually experienced it.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #105
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
A society that accepts gay marriage condones gay sex, and the social support for what we are to teach our children is broken down.
For someone so opposed to gay sex, you certainly have a flair for the dramatic. Why keep hiding behind gay marriage as a metaphor for all things homosexual?

Gay sex is already "condoned" by our society....you can adopt kids, you can hold a job, you can fight in the army, you can own property, you can pretty much do whatever you want (except get married) if you are currently having gay sex.

Also, if gay marriage is legalized, you can still teach your children that it is wrong.....see also: abortion, alcohol, fornication, cigarettes, going to the store on Sunday, profanity, and a host of other things. What would prevent you from doing this? Why would social support for our teachings break down? Is everyone but the Mormons going to magically support gay marriage once it becomes legal?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #106
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I've seen the hardest of hardliners soften when their son came out of the closet. It is easy to say in theory what you would do if your son were gay, but somehow I doubt you would react in the way that you imagine if you actually experienced it.
And I've seen them not soften.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #107
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean in the same sense that family members are relieved when a chronically, terminally ill relative passes away and moves on to a better place where they don't have to suffer any longer?
That's one possibility.

Another one is a sense of justice. As in God strikes down the evil.

I mean, it's not so far removed from reality. For example, I know of a family where one of the daughters strayed morally, and the father basically disowned her and when they had another child said that it was the child to replace the one that he lost.

That's pretty hardcore. And I wouldn't have thought it would be the case.

(my info on this one is second-hand so I can't vouch for the accuracy).
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #108
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Probably not. Who can say for sure how they would react?

Why must we confuse the laws of God with compassion for the transgressor? If I had a gay son, I would most likely be very conflicted, but I don't think I would espouse changing the gospel. I would not likely become a drug-legalization advocate if I my son became a drug addict. I would not likely become a polygamy activist if my son went and married three women.

We give homosexuality a special dispensation here because we've bought into the idea that because someone has a weakness/temptation toward this sin, that it should be normalized.

That doesn't mean we spit on anyone, especially of our own flesh. But we do not excuse the behavior either.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #109
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Probably not. Who can say for sure how they would react?

Why must we confuse the laws of God with compassion for the transgressor? If I had a gay son, I would most likely be very conflicted, but I don't think I would espouse changing the gospel. I would not likely become a drug-legalization advocate if I my son became a drug addict. I would not likely become a polygamy activist if my son went and married three women.

We give homosexuality a special dispensation here because we've bought into the idea that because someone has a weakness/temptation toward this sin, that it should be normalized.

That doesn't mean we spit on anyone, especially of our own flesh. But we do not excuse the behavior either.
would you accept his partner into your family? (family vacations/holidays)
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And I've seen them not soften.
No doubt. All I am saying is that the reaction that you imagine yourself having will not likely be the reaction that you have. Dealing with this issue in your immediate family has a way of shaping your beliefs that no theoretical discussion can provide.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote