cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #111
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

I think it's great that feminism is on the front burner, but it's unfortunate that it was ignited by a talk that facially seems to anti-feminist and old-fashioned.

I'm the only wife in my family ward here in Utah that is in school right now. I'm the only one who hasn't had kids. I get Sister Beck stuff crammed down my throat all the time. The women in my ward seemed universally delighted by it. It's hard to not feel awkward when my visiting teachers condescend to remind me of the importance of bearing children and having a family.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #112
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Ok...enough time on here. I'm now ignoring my crying kid to discuss "Mother Who Know."

Where the hell is my wife? Isn't this her job?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #113
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I think it's great that feminism is on the front burner, but it's unfortunate that it was ignited by a talk that facially seems to anti-feminist and old-fashioned.

I'm the only wife in my family ward here in Utah that is in school right now. I'm the only one who hasn't had kids. I get Sister Beck stuff crammed down my throat all the time. The women in my ward seemed universally delighted by it. It's hard to not feel awkward when my visiting teachers condescend to remind me of the importance of bearing children and having a family.
Excellent statement to put you on the defensive though and her on the offensive.

Like I said in another post. If you are in a discussion with very active LDS folks, the first one to pull out the "I have prayed about this and God has told me", will be the winner.

this was a reply to the post about written in one sitting.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #114
ERCougar

Quote:

Wow...really? They honestly bring that up? How in the world is that their stewardship?

I would sort of relish that discussion.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #115
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
True. It is her job.

I actually found kind of funny that she felt that the fact it came to her in one sitting without revision is a sign that it came from God. I think a lot of people think that way, and I'm not sure God would agree with it.
Well, seriously. I think God can plant the good idea or good theme, but last time I wrote a talk, I'm pretty sure I didn't have God proofread it.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #116
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Wow...really? They honestly bring that up? How in the world is that their stewardship?

I would sort of relish that discussion.
No, I'm serious. My visiting teachers came into my house and read me part of the talk and reminded me that being a mother is our primary role and that we need to spend time in the house, not out seeking secular pursuits.

Needless to say, I felt like dirt afterwards... and pulled out my law books... and started studying so that I have some hope of not turning out as condescending and narrow-minded as these women.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #117
BYU71

Quote:

I can honestly believe that happens. My sons wife is from Peru. When she first moved here and lived in a ward back east, she was constantly getting comments about her skirts being to short.

She didn't look like a hussy, but her skirts were a few inches above the knee and without sounding like a sick father in law, she has a great bod. She told me she just doesn't understand church members in the US and says she never took crap after being converted and attending her ward in Peru, only when she got to America.

My other daughter in law told her US mormon women just hate great bodies.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #118
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Mike Wallace: There are those who say, this is a gerontocracy, this is a church run by old men.

Gordon B. Hinckley: Isn't it wonderful? To have a man of maturity at the head, a man of judgment, who isn't blown about by every wind of doctrine?

Mike Wallace: Absolutely, as long as he's not dotty. [Laughs.]

Gordon B. Hinckley: [Laughs] Thank you for the compliment.

---

I wonder if chastity before marraige and fidelity within is one of those stodgy old 19th century values we wish would go away.

Would that our gerontocracy were so progressive.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #119
BYU71

Quote:
No, I'm serious. My visiting teachers came into my house and read me part of the talk and reminded me that being a mother is our primary role and that we need to spend time in the house, not out seeking secular pursuits.

Needless to say, I felt like dirt afterwards... and pulled out my law books... and started studying so that I have some hope of not turning out as condescending and narrow-minded as these women.
Maybe you can take heart in this. If you were the daughter of a GA, you might have been told to ignore what was said in conference.

I know for a fact a son of one of the Apostles was told to ignore the counsel in conference that young men not put off marriage. He told his son to get an education before marrying.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #120
ERCougar

Quote:

Wow. I honestly can't imagine someone would have the nerve to discuss that, even if they did think it. I guess you have to respect their courage?

If it's any consolation, I'm guessing you're a much more interesting person.

My wife recently organized a RS activity of sorts where everyone was supposed to bring their favorite book. Of the few who actually did, most brought children's books that they had read with their kids. The others responded by saying that they didn't have time to read--they considered it too "selfish". Selfish. I'm wondering what example their kids are gleaning from that on the value of knowledge and education. Or the importance of being half-way interesting.

I'm so glad I'm married to my wife.