cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #111
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
If you ask a Taliban, he'll tell you that burqas are enabling. If you ask an Amish, he'll tell you that foregoing electricity is enabling. And if you ask a mormon, he'll tell you that doing without tea and coffee is enabling. Every religion thinks their own particular set of restrictions are enabling.
I don't find them enabling. I could used a more concentrated vehicle to get caffine into my system every morning than Diet Coke. I'm not among those who think that all prohibitions set you free and have some great unseen benefit (though many do). I observe those particular restrictions because I believe that I show obedience to God by doing so. Nothing more.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #112
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
lol...talk about overthinking something too much. Yes there is a pretty weird culture in Mormonism, but that's no shock. Mormon, LDS. Lighten up Francis.
It really isn't tha big of a deal. It really isn't. I mock the culture all the time, but I still am a Mormon/LDS and so are you.
It's quite possible I think too much on this one. I'd rather err on the side of thinking too hard than thinking too little.

And I'm glad you've not had to struggle with dealing with the Mormon culture. Many have had to. And for many, the solution is to leave.

I ultimately feel that Mormon culture is a greater catalyst for apostasy than is Mormon doctrine. I consider that to be utterly tragic. Lacking both the contributions of those who would have otherwise been with us and the improvement we might have seen with a renewed emphasis on what is truly important in our religion, we as a people are not what we could be.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #113
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
It's quite possible I think too much on this one. I'd rather err on the side of thinking too hard than thinking too little.

And I'm glad you've not had to struggle with dealing with the Mormon culture. Many have had to. And for many, the solution is to leave.

I ultimately feel that Mormon culture is a greater catalyst for apostasy than is Mormon doctrine. I consider that to be utterly tragic. Lacking both the contributions of those who would have otherwise been with us and the improvement we might have seen with a renewed emphasis on what is truly important in our religion, we as a people are not what we could be.
Then stick around and help us get better.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #114
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

In other words a lazy and convenient excuse to blame one's lack of faith and testimony, and wanting to stay the course, on an entire culture.

Whatever happened to personal accountability, responsibility and forgiveness?

I've been offended by certain people in the church,,,and ultimately it's my own fault..not that person's if I chose to leave the church because what he/she may have said.

A copout if I've ever seen one.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-25-2006 at 09:17 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #115
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
In other words a lazy and convenient excuse to blame one's lack of faith and testimony, and wanting to stay the course, on an entire culture.

Rocky, Rocky, Rocky... Can't you see the irony in this response?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #116
All-American

Quote:

I'm going to allow you the opportunity to clarify your statement before I allow it to revise my opinion of you.

Are you saying that my faith and testimony are somehow less valid because I don't particularly like "mormon" culture? Do you really mean to say that if I don't care for the parts of our lifestyle that have nothing to do with the doctrine of the church, and is at times diametrically opposed to it, I am somehow less of a being spiritually? Even though I served a mission, believe in the Book of Mormon with all my heart, attend church every week, and believe the claims of the Church to be as substantial as my existence or yours?

Is that a "a lazy and convenient excuse to blame one's lack of faith and testimony, and wanting to stay the course, on an entire culture?"

There are many who believe whole-heartedly in the church and nevertheless struggle to unneccessarily maintain themselves to a standard that is NOT the one prescribed by scripture or teachings of the Lord's anointed. I can assure you, based on my own experiences and the experience of far too many others, this is no "copout." There are those who would to God that they could do everything they feel that they are expected to do, not only as a member of the church, but as a "mormon" (as I've defined it), and feel overwhelmed by the burden.

I would hope that you would have charity enough to want to lighten the load for these people who are, after all, your own brothers and sisters.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #117
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Then stick around and help us get better.
I don't know of what service I will ever be, but for better or worse, I'm not going anywhere.

Said Joseph Smith:

"If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out: I have no doubt of the truth."
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #118
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I'm going to allow you the opportunity to clarify your statement before I allow it to revise my opinion of you.

Are you saying that my faith and testimony are somehow less valid because I don't particularly like "mormon" culture? Do you really mean to say that if I don't care for the parts of our lifestyle that have nothing to do with the doctrine of the church, and is at times diametrically opposed to it, I am somehow less of a being spiritually? Even though I served a mission, believe in the Book of Mormon with all my heart, attend church every week, and believe the claims of the Church to be as substantial as my existence or yours?

Is that a "a lazy and convenient excuse to blame one's lack of faith and testimony, and wanting to stay the course, on an entire culture?"

There are many who believe whole-heartedly in the church and nevertheless struggle to unneccessarily maintain themselves to a standard that is NOT the one prescribed by scripture or teachings of the Lord's anointed. I can assure you, based on my own experiences and the experience of far too many others, this is no "copout." There are those who would to God that they could do everything they feel that they are expected to do, not only as a member of the church, but as a "mormon" (as I've defined it), and feel overwhelmed by the burden.

I would hope that you would have charity enough to want to lighten the load for these people who are, after all, your own brothers and sisters.
Quite frankly I won't lose any sleep worrying about your opinion of me.

Yep, your right it's all the Mormon's fault. Screw personal responsibility.

I stand by my statement.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #119
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quite frankly I won't lose any sleep worrying about your opinion of me.

Yep, your right it's all the Mormon's fault. Screw personal responsibility.

I stand by my statement.
Shouldn't we worry about how we treat each other no matter how much we think we are right?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #120
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I don't know of what service I will ever be, but for better or worse, I'm not going anywhere.

Said Joseph Smith:

"If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out: I have no doubt of the truth."
Well, you are doing a fine job right here on CG, for starters. I enjoy your posts and opinions.