cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #111
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The day a member of this board becomes an Apostle, I will be on the in crowd for certain. You can keep your wealth and we will the 'in" crowd. May we make suggestions for changes?
The day a member of this board becomes an apostle is the day Bronco can stop worrying about losing LDS recruits and reconditioning athletes after their missions.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #112
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The day a member of this board becomes an apostle is the day Bronco can stop worrying about losing LDS recruits and reconditioning athletes after their missions.
So, you're saying there's a chance?

Maybe we should have a poll of who has the best chance, and include Blue Hair, Hyrum, Seattle, and Non Sequitur for fun. Somebody could rank the odds and what not.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #113
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:

Maybe we should have a poll of who has the best chance, and include Blue Hair, Hyrum, Seattle, and Non Sequitur for fun. Somebody could rank the odds and what not.
There'd be no competition. All-American is primed for years of church leadership.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #114
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There'd be no competition. All-American is primed for years of church leadership.
But he hasn't even married. I mean he didn't marry at age 21. How can one be an Apostle without a bevy of children before 30?

I kinda hope it's Mike or Creekster so we can still off-color jokes without getting too embarrassed.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #115
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Guys,

I have no inside information on what compensation looks like for GAs, but I don't think GAs are sitting on corporate boards anymore. This is from an anti-Mormon site, but I don't think they are making this part up:

Quote:
On January 18, 1996, the LDS Church changed its policy regarding its general authorities and these corporate board positions. According to the "Salt Lake Tribune" (1/20/96, B1), the LDS Church called for the resignation of all its general authorities who would continue to be on these boards, whether or not it is Mormon Church-owned. Such action was deemed necessary because of the increasing demands on church leaders as a result of church growth.
It seems unlikely to me that this policy has been reversed subsequently, but I suppose it is possible.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-12-2007 at 05:26 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #116
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This would actually be fun. My money is on Rocky. Imagine his priesthood session talks. "You guys need grow some balls and quit being such pussies and get your home teach done".
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #117
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I don't understand why my comments are hurtful. I stated that it would be impossible to confirm due to the fact the books are closed. It's hard to say if the estimates are truth or lies if the books are closed.

My Mission President's wife told me what he was to be paid. I have no reason to doubt her. She did like to brag, but I think she was honest. This was in the early 90's.
Firstly, Mission Presidents and General Authorities are not paid. There is a clear distinction between allowance and paid, and it is more than symantics. That is why I considered what you wrote hurtful.

Last edited by tooblue; 02-12-2007 at 05:30 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #118
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
This would actually be fun. My money is on Rocky. Imagine his priesthood session talks. "You guys need grow some balls and quit being such pussies and get your home teach done".
"And if you don't like my priesthood authority, f.. off, because you all know you're just a bunch of f...ing apostate bastards."

I can hear it now. J. Golden, the Seventy, not the mythical Apostle, would be proud of Rocky profane use of the English language. Fire and brimstone with no possibility of redemption for anybody.

Maybe we could invent a writing of conference talks by our favorite Board Apostles.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-12-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #119
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Guys,

I have no inside information on what compensation looks like for GAs, but I don't think GAs are sitting on corporate boards anymore. This is from an anti-Mormon site, but I don't think they are making this part up:

It seems unlikely to me that this policy has been reversed subsequently, but I suppose it is possible.
This actually makes a lot of sense. If GA's were still sitting on the boards of corporations, the anti's would be making a lot of hay about it. Especially in terms of boycotting companies and naming the corporations with LDS involvement.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #120
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Firstly, Mission Presidents and General Authorities are not paid. There is a clear distinction between allowance and paid, and it is more than symantics. That is why I considered what you wrote hurtful.
I understand the difference between allowance and pay. Either way, they are receiving money based on their positions of being General Authorities. I don't consider this to be wrong. In fact, my father is a Bishop and I think he should get some sort of allowance. His calling truly is a hardship to him financially.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote