cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #111
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
That's brainless propaganda. We aren't fighting a war, so surrender isn't an option. We are occupying a foreign country, and the sensible among us think that's a bad idea.
I think the people who are really sensible recognize that since we're in a foreign country that we might want to do what it takes so the country soon after in worse shape than when we arrived there.

To that end, things are very strongly trending in the right direction. To pull out now would not be sensible.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #112
Indy Coug

Quote:
I don't know how it is in Utah, but keep in mind that the left is tolerant of all religion, which means that it probably won't support Mormon attempts to wield influence that it deems unconstitutional. I understand how the left could be seen as intolerant in the midst of such a dominantly religious society, but elsewhere in the world, the liberals are installing footwashing stations in bathrooms so the muslims will stop killing themselves trying to use a sink, etc.
The left is tolerant of all religion? Where in the world did you get that idea?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #113
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Funniest line of the evening. I think I'll retire to bed tonight with a smile just thinking about this kind of denial.

Thanks, woot.
So you actually consider the situation in Iraq to be a war? A civil war perhaps, but not one in which we are involved. Who are we fighting, exactly? "Terrorists"? Surely you don't actually believe that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #114
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The left is tolerant of all religion? Where in the world did you get that idea?
How is this news? Can someone provide some examples of the left being intolerant?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #115
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know how it is in Utah, but keep in mind that the left is tolerant of all religion, which means that it probably won't support Mormon attempts to wield influence that it deems unconstitutional. I understand how the left could be seen as intolerant in the midst of such a dominantly religious society, but elsewhere in the world, the liberals are installing footwashing stations in bathrooms so the muslims will stop killing themselves trying to use a sink, etc.
Why do the Muslims need to have a foot washing station in a public bathroom? What happened to the separation of church and state? Perhaps you man that the left is tolerant of non-Christian religion? I can agree whole heartedly with that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #116
Indy Coug

Quote:
How is this news? Can someone provide some examples of the left being intolerant?
Let's start with TV shows and movies produced by strongly liberal groups that consistently represent people of faith as ignorant and/or dangerous caricatures.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #117
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Let's start with TV shows and movies produced by strongly liberal groups that consistently represent people of faith as ignorant and/or dangerous caricatures.
A. I meant policy, not your subjective characterization of those you deem liberal.

B. Movies and to a lesser extent TV shows portray belief in the supernatural to be a good thing, and non-believers to be deficient in some way. Fundies are sometimes made light of, and nonbelievers are finally starting to get some decent treatment in a very few TV shows, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #118
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
B. Movies and to a lesser extent TV shows portray belief in the supernatural to be a good thing, and non-believers to be deficient in some way. Fundies are sometimes made light of, and nonbelievers are finally starting to get some decent treatment in a very few TV shows, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.
What the hell are you talking about? The only movie I've ever seen in which a non-believer got the shaft was The Ten Commandments.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #119
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What the hell are you talking about? The only movie I've ever seen in which a non-believer got the shaft was The Ten Commandments.
He must have seen Evan Almighty recently.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #120
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, 1408 was a recent movie in which the non-believer was proven wrong. Contact, a movie based on a book written by an atheist, for crying out loud, ended in the atheist main character having a religious experience. There were at least two other movies in the last couple years about non-believers finding religion after some life-changing experience that I didn't see. I am Legend ends by proving the hero scientist's unbelief wrong.

I really thought all this was obvious.