cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #111
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Because they mean something different to every person who sees them. A purpose of a test is to place you on a scale and tell you where you fit, isn't it? If the scale is different for each person than the result means nothing. I can't compare my score to yours (or Ghandi's or Hitler's or anyone's) because the questions are essentially different to you than they are to me because of how ambiguous they are. Take the eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth question, for example. What if I'm Hitler and recognize that it comes from the freaking Old Testament, so by definition I must vehemently disagree with it because I hate Jews, when it fact the philosophy of the concept shouldn't necessarily be THAT disagreeable to a fascist. Does that make sense?

ANy given question may have this type of problem, which is why it isn't a single question survey. ANy survey using words will have the problems you identify. All questions will, depending upon our backgrounds, educational levels, experiences and beliefs, mean slightly different things to each of us.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #112
creekster

THis has been sort of fun, and I now think I know what CaliCoug feels like from time to time. Noit much time left, however, so feel free to take shots and I'll try to respond later.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #113
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes. Good point.
The only thing it means is that Tex answered the survey. The survey is crap. You can't compare results from person to person because no two people are going to interpret the same ambiguous question the same way.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #114
creekster

Quote:
The only thing it means is that Tex answered the survey. The survey is crap. You can't compare results from person to person because no two people are going to interpret the same ambiguous question the same way.
That was Lebowski's original point; mine were the alternative explanations. Your position is pretty clearly stated.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #115
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THis is quite possibly true. Fortunately, no one will lose their job based on this survey. But the fact that you might change your mind in the future doesn't mean that the description of your views based upon the naswers you gave isn't accurate, does it? The result from any test will change if you change your answers.
MY point is you shouldn't HAVE to change your answers because you can't figure out what the dang question means. Changing an answer because you change your mind is a totally different concept.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #116
BlueK

Quote:
ANy given question may have this type of problem, which is why it isn't a single question survey. ANy survey using words will have the problems you identify. All questions will, depending upon our backgrounds, educational levels, experiences and beliefs, mean slightly different things to each of us.
True to some extent but some surveys are far worse than others, and this is one of the worst I've ever encountered. Maybe I just can't break from my analytical way of looking at things like this, because it deals with something I work with every day.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #117
creekster

Let me add this: This is a very crude survey. It is proably only good for very broad comaprisons. So the difference between my score and Tex's score is proabbaly menaginless. It probabyl does have some value, however, in making relative comparisons. So someone at 1.0 on the scale is likely to be less extreme in that aprtidular axis than someone at 6.0. reading much more into this is almost certainly not likely to be of much use at all. Nonetheless, I felt like it was not porly constructed at all, and is more likely to ferret out the ideology as opposed to the policy conlcusions of someone taking it honestly.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #118
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tacit agreement that there are no other options?
No. The other option (implied in my last post) is that the middle can look extreme to the extremists.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #119
creekster

Quote:
MY point is you shouldn't HAVE to change your answers because you can't figure out what the dang question means. Changing an answer because you change your mind is a totally different concept.
My gues is this means that your probably hanging around the center on some of these issues, but I see your point and I certainly don't mean to suggest that the survey is perfect, I just dont' think it is that bad.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #120
creekster

Quote:
True to some extent but some surveys are far worse than others, and this is one of the worst I've ever encountered. Maybe I just can't break from my analytical way of looking at things like this, because it deals with something I work with every day.
Can you explain? What do you work with every day?